RE: [XTalk] Original gospel?

    Message 1 of 7 , May 1 12:34 AM
      At 12:45 AM 4/30/2009, Ken Olson wrote:

      >Bob,
      >
      >Such an approach was proposed in C.H. Dodd, “The Framework of the Gospel
      >Narrative,” Expository Times 43 (Oct. 1931 ­ Sept. 1932):396-400,
      >available online at:
      >
      >http://www.biblicalstudies.org.uk/pdf/framework_dodd.pdf

      Thank you for providing this link. It seems that Dodd's interest here is in
      "summary outlines of the life of Jesus" noticed by Martin Dibelius:

      >The evidence, he observes, does not suggest that any one outline was
      >universal, but it does suggest that some kind of outline formed a regular
      >part of the kerygma everywhere.

      Dodd does not actually refer specifically to Acts 3, but he does refer to
      the speech of Peter in Acts 10:37-41, which is actually embedded in a
      longer speech of Peter (vv. 34-43), which he refers to as one of "The
      fullest examples of such primitive kerygma."

      >37 That message spread throughout Judea, beginning in Galilee after the
      >baptism that John announced:
      > 38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with
      > power; how he went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by
      > the devil, for God was with him.
      > 39 We are witnesses to all that he did both in Judea and in Jerusalem.
      > They put him to death by hanging him on a tree;
      > 40 but God raised him on the third day and allowed him to appear,
      > 41 not to all the people but to us who were chosen by God as witnesses,
      > and who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead.

      Dodd concludes with this characterization:

      >I submit, therefore, that we are led to conceive the materials which Mark
      >took over from tradition
      >as being of three kinds[:]
      >(i) Isolated independent pericopæ, handed down without any connexion;
      >(ii) Larger complexes, which again may be of various kinds: genuinely
      >continuous narratives;
      >pericopæ strung upon an itinerary; pericopæ connected by unity of theme.
      >(iii) An outline of the whole ministry, designed,
      >[p.400]
      >perhaps, as an introduction to the Passion-story, but serving also as a
      >background of reference for
      >separate stories; fragments of this survive in the framework of the Gospel.

      Acts 3:13-15 is much more succinct, and it is indeed a summary of the
      Passion-story itself:

      >13 The God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, the God of
      >our ancestors has glorified his servant Jesus, whom you handed over and
      >rejected in the presence of Pilate, though he had decided to release him.
      > 14 But you rejected the Holy and Righteous One and asked to have a
      > murderer given to you,
      > 15 and you killed the Author of life, whom God raised from the dead. To
      > this we are witnesses.

      >It was criticized in D. E. Nineham, "The Order of Events in St. Mark's
      >Gospel--an examination of Dr. Dodd's Hypothesis" in Studies in the
      >Gospels, ed. Nineham (1955).

      I do not have access to Nineham's critique, and would be grateful if you or
      someone else would summarize it.

      Thanks,
      Bob Schacht
      University of Hawaii