Re: [XTalk] Jesus and disciples

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 24, 2009
      Hi Jeffrey,
      On Feb 23, 2009, at 2:39 PM, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

      > With apologies for cross posting:
      >
      > The Gospels not only tell us that Jesus had disciples; they indicate
      > that he felt it necessary to have them.
      >
      > Assuming the historicity of this presentation, what's the historical
      > reason for it? To put this another way, why was it that Jesus
      > thought
      > it necessary to have any disciples at all, let alone those who would
      > pray in the manner he instructed them to pray?
      >
      > Jeffrey

      I'm not sure exactly what you're asking us "to assume" as to the
      history of the presentation, but leaving that aside, how about
      starting this line of thoughts with the mission statement found in Q/
      Luke 10:3-11? The mission statement lays out a clear agenda... peace
      sharing through words, meals, lodging shared and the healing of the
      ill. Said program, where successful, would make for a network of
      "peace and wellness houses" which per the missional summary makes for
      places where "the kingdom of God has come near." Hence making for a
      band of followers is necessary for such a religio-social program.
      And as for prayer (again, assuming that Jesus actually taught a set
      prayer), such a prayer fits right into said action plan. The words
      affirm the rule/ reign of God. They deal with the needs of the home
      (food, forgiveness, temptation). And as prayer can be described as
      an affirmational, encouragement and peace act/ ritualization, then
      the LP certainly fits the bill for this mission program.

      Gordon Raynal
      Inman, SC