What "those in the pew" think they are praying for

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 21, 2009
      Richard,

      In the service of my aim to ask and answer the question of whether or
      not "what we think we are saying when we say the words of the LP" is
      true (i.e., in conformity with what Jesus meant the words to the LP to
      signify) I've been trying to draw up a summary of what it is -- as is
      indicated by popular literature on Matt. 6:9-13//Luke 11:2-4 -- that
      those in the pew believe they are praying for when they recite the
      words of the Lord's Prayer.

      I'm posting here what I've come up with so far.

      I'd be grateful for your feedback. Do I have it right? Are there
      things I've missed? Would you phrase what I've said differently?

      With thanks in advance,

      Jeffrey

      ******

      What Christians think they are saying when, in following Jesus'
      admonition to do so, they addresses God as Father is that God is
      not only a personable being, but one who is as close by, as caring,
      as merciful, and as providential as modern fathers are expected to
      be with their children.

      What they think they are praying for when they say "May your name be
      hallowed" is either that God will act in such a way that everyone
      will recognize him for the holy being that he is or, working from
      the impression that "to be hallowed" means "to be praised", that
      all everyone, and not just Christians, will eventually give him the
      honour and respect and the kinds of worship he deserves.

      What they think they are praying for when they say "May your kingdom
      come" is either a profound inner personal and individualized
      experience of God's love, forgiveness, or empowering presence or it
      is the hurrying of God's establishment on earth of something that
      they have been taught properly belongs to the world's future -- a
      promised end of all earthly misery and injustice, a reign of peace
      and well being, the experience of heaven on earth.

      What they think they are praying for when they say "give us this
      day our daily bead" is relief from present need.

      What they think they are praying for when they say "Forgive us our
      trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us" is either a
      remittance of expected punishment for the sins they have
      individually committed or a release from any and all guilt
      experienced on account of them, since more often than not, the "us"
      and the "our" and the "we" of the prayer is transmuted consciously
      or unconsciously into "me", "my" and "I".

      And what they think they are praying for when the say "lead us not
      into temptation" is either divine protection from experiencing or
      succumbing to the sinful enticements and hard travails that daily
      plague us or, following the idea that some scholars have put forward
      that here the word "temptation" refers to a series of trials that
      God's elect will be subjected to when he finally moves to
      re-establish his sovereignty over the earth and rid the world of all
      rebelliousness against him, the so called "final" and potentially
      overwhelming test of faithfulness that they believe awaits them in
      the future.

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 21, 2009
        Apologies for sending to the List what was intended to be a private
        message to a private party.

        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        Chicago, Illinois