RE: [XTalk] Interesting letters of Isidore of Pelusium

  • Ken Olson
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 14, 2009
      Roger,

      Beyond Evieux, I don't think there's been a lot of interest in Isidore in recent years. A partial exception is the Philo scholar David T. Runia. His real interest is in the reception history of Philo's work, but he has two articles on Isidore's use of Philo: "Where, Tell Me, Is the Jew: Basil, Philo and Isidore of Pelusium" and "Philo of Alexandria in Five Letters of Isidore of Peslusium." He provides Greek and English texts for some of the letters he treats. I could track down the original publications for the articles if you like, but I believe they're reprinted in Runia, Philo in Early Christian Literature (1993) and Philo and the Church Fathers (1995).

      Best,

      Ken

      PHD Student, Religion, Duke University

      To: crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com
      From: roger_pearse@...
      Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 15:22:10 +0000
      Subject: [XTalk] Interesting letters of Isidore of Pelusium

      As some will know, we have a collection of 2,000 short letters or

      extracts of letters transmitted to us from Isidore of Pelusium, who

      lived in the early 5th century. I'm reading Pierre Evieux's study of

      this text, and learn (inter alia) that quite a few of his letters are

      exegetically interesting. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm

      open to suggestions on which would be useful to have in English, you

      see.

      All the best,

      Roger Pearse

      http://www.roger-pearse.com/weblog