Re: [XTalk] Goulder once again

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2009
      At 12:05 PM 1/30/2009, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
      >Goulder notes that one of the fundamental assumptions of "the accepted
      >history" of the LP is that it was something that Jesus composed and
      >taught to his disciples. His reason for questioning the validity of
      >this assumption is that it is then:
      >
      > "... the only thing of the kind he ever did. Jesus did not commit
      > his teaching to writing because he believed that his disciples were,
      > like St. Paul's, his epistle written in fleshy tables of the heart,
      > and that the Holy Spirit would guide them into all truth. To teach
      > something by heart is the same in principle as to write it down, and
      > there is no statement in the gospels that Jesus ever taught his
      > disciples by heart any other thing than the Lord's Prayer. Jesus
      > might have made an exception in favour of a single prayer, but there
      > is no very obvious reason why he should so have done.
      >

      >Some bold assertions, I think.
      >
      >Is it really the the case that Jesus "believed that his disciples were,
      >like St. Paul's, his epistle written in fleshy tables of the heart, and
      >that the Holy Spirit would guide them into all truth". To paraphrase
      >Goulder, do we find any statement in the Synoptics that verifies this
      >claim?
      >
      >And is it really the case, even IF there is no direct statement in the
      >Gospels to this effect (is this true?), that Jesus would never have
      >taught his disciples by heart? Given what seem to have been standard
      >Jewish pedagogical practices employed by teachers of the sort that Jesus
      >is depicted by the evangelists as being, wouldn't teaching by heart be
      >assumed by the evangelists to be the method Jesus ordinarily employed
      >with the disciples?
      >
      >Jeffrey

      Jeffrey,
      This must unfortunately be a quick and preliminary note because I do not
      have the time to do the proper research. So this is just a thought:

      Might this instruction be parallel to the Lord's Supper? (Mark 14:22-25;
      Matt. 26:26-28; Luke 22:17-20)
      I am influenced especially, I suppose, by the Lukan version "Do this..."
      which of course is what the present Eucharistic formula uses.

      I think this opens up the useful arena of "instruction", which is related
      of course to the idea that Jesus was a "teacher." Perhaps your questions
      belong in that arena.

      Excellent questions, BTW. I hope to see more attempts to answer your challenge.

      Bob Schacht
      University of Hawaii