Re: [XTalk] lack of NT attestation to the LP

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2009
      Kenneth Litwak wrote:
      > I consider all such "we don't find evidence of it elsewhere" to be an unhelpful assertion at best. To assert this, as Goulder does, and for it to have force, you owould have to be able to say that absolutely everything that Jesus ever said would need to be reflected elsewhere in the NT. Ye that would be circular because it assumes what it needs to prove:

      It seems to me that in order to score the point you want to score
      against Goulder, you are misrepresenting what he has actually said. Is
      it or is it not true that, apart from Mk. 11:25, we don't find in any
      other NT writing any of the phrases constituent to and characteristic of
      the Matthean or Lukan version of the LP?

      > Think of all the modern applications of this in denying that things said by individuals that do not appear elsewhere in the writings of others could not have been said by them.
      Again, you are misconstruing Goulder in order to score you point against
      him. Goulder has never claimed that the words and petitions attributed
      only by Matthew and Luke to Jesus in LP could never have been said by
      Jesus. In fact, he thinks that most of what we find attributed to
      Jesus in the LP has some dominical root. What he says is that Jesus
      never gave to his disciples the connected prayer that we find now in Mt.
      6:9-13//Lk. 11:2-4.

      You haven't actually read Goulder's "Composition of the Lord's Prayer",
      have you?

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      Chicago, Illinois