Re: [Synoptic-L] bibliographical references: the historical unreliability of the sayings of Jesus in GJohn

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 22, 2009
      At 07:32 AM 1/22/2009, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
      >Can someone here point me to one or two books or articles (with full
      >bibliographical references) which could be used in a footnote to
      >buttress the claim that it is usually maintained by NT/Historical
      >Jesus Scholars that the sayings of Jesus in the Gospel of John have less
      >of a claim to representing what the HJ actually said than those we find
      >in Matthew Mark and Luke?

      Jeffrey,
      I think this is so commonplace that you'll probably have to go back to the
      19th century or even earlier to find it as a novel argument. The usual
      case, IIRC, is just to point to the long supposedly "pastoral prayers" of
      Jesus in GJohn, say the obvious about their impossibility as transcripts,
      and use that as an excuse to throw out all of John's sayings of Jesus, long
      or short.

      I think what The Five Gospels has to say is that comparing the sayings of
      Jesus in the Synoptics and GJohn that you just have to pick one or the
      other as a blanket rule, and they opt for picking the synoptics, whether it
      makes the most sense in any specific case or not. I don't particularly care
      for that assessment. Unfortunately, my copy of T5G is packed away, so I
      can't look that up for you.

      Bob Schacht
      University of Hawaii

      >With thanks in advance,
      >
      >Jeffrey
      >
      >--
      >Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      >1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      >Chicago, Illinois
      >e-mail jgibson000@...

    • stephanie fisher
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 24, 2009
        What about the bibliographical references in Maurice Casey "Is John's Gospel True?" and Craig Blomberg "The Historical Reliability of John"(I've forgotten what it's called?) and all the commentaries as well. And more recently I think, Paul Anderson?

        Stephanie Fisher
        Nottingham

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 28, 2009
          I have Maurice Casey ("Is John's Gospel True?") on my bookshelf. If
          you need something looked up or information from its citations and
          bibliography, please contact me at peterkirby@... (off-list).

          regards,
          Peter Kirby
          (CSU Fullerton - undergrad)