Criterium of embarassment

  • John E Staton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2009
      I take Mark's point, but surely one can form some view of what might be
      "embarassing" for a particular author, from a perusal of their
      literature. A saying of Jesus that appears (on the surface) to be
      potentially in conflict with what can be percieved of as an important
      part of the message of Mark, John, or whoever, must have had a firm
      place in the tradition prior to that author. Obviously the capacity of a
      believing community to accept without embarassment any number of things
      which *ought* to cause such embarassment should not be underestimated,
      but they would not invent such things. Such things must be a
      firmly-entrenched part of the tradition.

      Best Wishes

      Hull, UK
      www.christianreflection.org.uk