Re: [XTalk] Historical Presents

  • E Bruce Brooks
    Message 1 of 36 , Jan 11, 2009
      To: Crosstalk
      Cc: GPG (the smaller conversation)
      Following Up On: Mine of 1/11/09
      On: Historical Presents as a Layer Marker in Mark
      From: Bruce

      Just to repeat, in case there was somehow a failure in delivery: I had
      earlier suggested that the following seven passages were for various
      internal reasons (not here repeated) typologically late or internally
      discordant in Mark, or both:

      (a) The Beelzebul accusation (3:22-30), interrupting other material.

      (b) The Woman With a Flow of Blood episode (5:24-34), ditto.

      (c) The Death of John the Baptist (6:17-29), ditto, plus very long.

      (d) The Rich Young Man (10:17-27). Absolute opposition to wealth.

      (e) The Parable of the Vineyard (12:1-12). Typologically unique;
      substantively late

      (f) The Eschatological Discourse (13:3-37). Long; theologically late.

      (g) The Anointing in Bethany (14:3-9). Interruptive; legendary in tone.

      SECOND ATTRIBUTES

      Are there common traits among these seven, independent of the ones used to
      isolate them for discussion in the first place? I had previously reported
      that though there are c150 HP in all of Mark, none of these seven passages
      contains a single HP. Together, they amount to a sizeable percentage of the
      total Mark, and this absence may conceivably be statistically significant.
      If it reflects a real situation, this already puts the Maloney data in a
      different light: we may have, in Mark the detectable presence of a late
      author, one not as concerned as any earlier ones to maintain the style of
      Initial Mark.

      NEW QUESTION

      That is suggestive, though (as I previously noted at some length) not
      definitive. To follow up the suggestion, and see whether it holds, for all
      or part of this material, we might next ask: are there further features
      which these seven passages share?

      Answering my own question (since it is now quite a while since I asked it,
      and I have had a little time to think), I might mention the following.

      1. EUQUS. Along with initial KAI and the HP itself, this is one of the most
      conspicuous components of Mark's "breathless" style. EUQUS occurs (in that
      precise form) 51x in Mark. Only one of those occurrences is in any of these
      seven passages (5:30). We thus cannot say that the EUQUS feature of Markan
      style is absent from the seven passages, but it is surely much reduced. It
      might be objected, But these stories are not such as would readily
      accommodate EUQUS. I answer: The Death of John, for one, might easily have
      done so, but the statement does generally hold. I suggest, however, that it
      is merely another way of saying, These passages are written in a style
      different from that of the typical early Markan EUQUS passage. They are more
      dignified (even when they are sensationalistic); they don't grab the reader
      as firmly by the lapel. The tone is different, and the relative lack of
      EUQUS is one way that this different tone is signaled.

      2. Women. Adult women are notably prominent in these passages, either as
      present or as contrastively absent. (a) No women directly present, but note
      that the Beelzebul accusation interrupts, and thus distracts attention from,
      an episode in which Jesus's mother and sisters have a distinctly negative
      role, as unbelievers and indeed persecutors. (b) Jesus's only healing of an
      adult woman, and it is really her faith, and no conscious act of his, that
      produces the healing. We are way past the typical Markan healing scene,
      which is a deed of power by Jesus. (c) The Death of John contains a female
      part that any diva would kill for. (d) Nothing special here. (e) Ditto. (f)
      There is a perhaps notable sympathy, in this cataclysmic picture, with
      "those who give suck in those days." (g) Here is another starring female
      part, this one emblematic of personal devotion; her actions are pointedly
      defended by Jesus.

      If we subtract these passages from Mark, how many adult women of consequence
      are left? I omit the Women at the Tomb as a cluster rather than an
      individual. On that basis, I think just one: the Syrophoenician Woman
      (7:24-31). Any EUQUS there? Just one. Any HP there? Just one, and it
      introduces not a statement of Jesus, but the retort of the Woman. Hmmm. The
      incident itself is typologically odd: a distance healing. Hmmm.

      3. The Elect. This I find a confusing term, but I am prepared to take it in
      the sense of an appropriated Jewish identity: those to whom God has
      previously given a promise. Then the Elect are the Christians, specifically
      identified with the New Israel, at a time when the Christians see themselves
      as having replaced the Jews in that role. The term itself occurs only in
      (f), but the Transfer of the Covenant is the whole point of (e) also. This
      perception of the Christian community is late; it occurs in Paul and in
      Didache 9:4 and 10:5, in the late layer of a generally early text; it has
      become nearly conventional by 1 Peter 1:1, and is wholly so in the Johannine
      Epistles.

      4. The World Mission. This was pointed out previously, but both (f) and (g)
      refer to the Gospel being preached in the whole world, a notion which very
      likely took time to develop in the early Movement. An actively propagated
      and specifically Gentile Christianity (see previous).

      REFLECTION

      Nothing so far makes these the product of the same moment, or of the same
      authorial hand. Text philology is not THAT easy. But I am coming to suspect
      that these passages, or most of them, may well reflect a common literary and
      theological milieu, and that milieu may itself be late in the history of the
      post-Crucifixion movement. The passages themselves may well be late within
      the formation process of Mark, most of which seems to speak out of different
      perceptions, and to address different needs and concerns. That is the basis
      which I offer for any further suggestions, either in extension or in
      refutation.

      In addition to these suggestions for seven (or eight?) passages, taking them
      out of the HP discussion may usefully clarify that discussion, by reducing
      the amount of work that a description of HP in Mark has to do.

      Bruce

      E Bruce Brooks
      Warring States Project
      University of Massachusetts at Amherst