Re: [XTalk] Christmas Greetings

  • Rikk Watts
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 24, 2008
      And to you John!

      Every blessing
      Rikk

      On 24/12/08 7:13 AM, "John E Staton" <john.staton@...> wrote:

      > A Happy Christmas to one and all.
      >
      > Best Wishes
    • John E Staton
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 24, 2010
        A happy Christmas to one and all.

        Best Wishes

        Hull, UK
        www.christianreflection.org.uk
      • Horace Jeffery Hodges
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 24, 2010
          Thanks, John, and here's an X-Mas Greeting from my son:

          http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/2010/12/happy-mutant-x-mas-from-en-uk-sequoya.html

          All in good humor . . .

          Jeffery Hodges

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 24, 2010
            Just back from midnight communion - feeling well-frozen and well-blessed!

            Happy Christmas to all of you and yours,
            Blessings,
            Rev Tony Buglass
            Superintendent Minister
            Calderdale Methodist Circuit

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 24, 2010
              At 05:55 PM 12/24/2010, Tony Buglass wrote:
              >Just back from midnight communion - feeling well-frozen and well-blessed!
              >
              >Happy Christmas to all of you and yours,

              Likewise, I was guest at a Catholic mass this evening at a children's
              service with my nephew and his family. Very nice.

              Oh, and happy Kwanzai, Hannakuh and winter solstice felicitations to
              those of other persuasions!

              Cheers,
              Bob Schacht

              >Blessings,
              >Rev Tony Buglass
              >Superintendent Minister
              >Calderdale Methodist Circuit

              >List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com
              >
              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Thomas Kopecek
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 25, 2010
                Besides adding my Christmas greetings to all the other greetings expressed on XTalk, I'd like also to convey to the list my hopes for those who last night were engaged in, albeit late, winter solstice celebrations that your Christmas morning coffee was very black and very strong. If your ‘late’ solstice antics were anything like the properly timed ones of some of my wife’s and my friends in upstate New York (where we were born and raised), you surely needed the strong coffee. ☺ As all on the list undoubtedly know, Christmas celebrations were occasions for a long time in the States (perhaps in Britain as well, come to think of it—I don’t happen to know) that men became satisfyingly inebriated: this was, of course, before Christmas was transformed into a holiday that has tended to focus on children and family, with Santa and gifts of toys for children and gifts like now-disappearing ties for fathers and husbands and cashmere sweaters for mothers and wives. I suspect that those men who still work very, very hard still find something to be said for good 'old-fashioned' Christmases . . . .

                But on to something more relevant to the list as an academic enterprise. I've been slowly working on a post that I hope to send as a maiden submission to the Yahoo Biblical-Studies list, where I plan to be a primarily a lurker, which I had also planned for this list—fat chance it turned out, to my wife’s distress ☹. The post with which I’m fooling around has to do with an issue raised on the Biblical-Studies list sometime around the middle of December. It concerns a passage in the prologue to the Fourth Gospel. But it is also particularly relevant to Christmas, for it approaches the gospel prologue and the issue raised on the Biblical-Studies list from the perspective of Bishop Athanasius of Alexandria's famous (and highly praised, by C.S. Lewis, for instance) De Incarnatione, which I’ve mentioned a couple of times on XTalk: as an erstwhile teacher of undergraduates I was forced to work primarily with short, more or less ‘accessible’ Patristic texts.

                Last night as I was watching Midnight Mass from Rome (I don’t happen to be ‘Roman’ Catholic, despite my wider family being so) it occurred to me that some members of XTalk might be interested as well in my planned post. I pose the question to the list, however, for what I have in mind to say has little to do with what moderns mean by ‘the Historical Jesus’. It does, on the other hand, have to do with what we may dub ‘the historic Jesus’, that is, the Jesus that has ‘lived and reigned’ in “the Church that he came to build,” as some Anglican prayers phrase it.

                Tom
                ______________
                Thomas A. Kopecek
                1536 Elk Horn Drive
                Otley, Iowa 50214-8513
                kopecekt@...

                At 05:55 PM 12/24/2010, Tony Buglass wrote:
                >Just back from midnight communion - feeling well-frozen and well-blessed!
                >
                >Happy Christmas to all of you and yours,

                Likewise, I was guest at a Catholic mass this evening at a children's
                service with my nephew and his family. Very nice.

                Oh, and happy Kwanzai, Hannakuh and winter solstice felicitations to
                those of other persuasions!

                Cheers,
                Bob Schacht

                >Blessings,