Re: [XTalk] Mark (9)

  • E Bruce Brooks
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 15, 2008
      To: Crosstalk
      In Final Response To: Ron Price
      On: The Motive of Mark
      From: Bruce

      Ron is signing off the topic of his theory of the origin of Mark, and I will
      join him. There was just one question still open, and I will end by
      repeating it for anyone who can help to answer it:

      RON (Recently): I'm disappointed that you think it necessary to descend into
      ridicule. I never said that filling the space was Mark's *primary* motive.
      His primary motive was of course to present the gospel as he saw it. This
      conversation has gone on for too long. I hereby conclude my part in it.

      BRUCE: For the record, here again was Ron's previous description of Mark as
      he sees it:

      RON (Previously): "It's a combination of two motives, one a consequence of
      the other. Firstly Mark knew the scroll was associated with Judaism, so he
      wanted a new medium to reflect the new wine of Christianity (Mk 2:22).
      Having chosen to compose his gospel on a codex, the most practical way of
      filling all the papyrus and
      thus inhibiting additions at the end was to choose the total number of pages
      to be a whole multiple of four, then divide his material into logical
      sections and allocate one or more pages to each section. Allocating
      single-page sections towards the end would make it easier to get it right,
      and this is just what he appears to have done."

      BRUCE (Present): I continue to find this a strange aganda. Can anyone cite a
      precedent, or a contemporary parallel, for an author structuring a book in
      advance, in this particular way? Not in form -- Matthew has his structure
      based on discourses, Luke his threefold division, and so on; that we know
      about -- but in terms of page layout?

      E Bruce Brooks
      Warring States Project
      University of Massachusetts at Amherst