Re: [XTalk] OT "How they do it"

  • Horace Jeffery Hodges
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 11, 2008
      JEFFERY: . . . I see that I've gotten more productive as I grow older
      because I am better at filtering out the unnecessary from the necessary as I
      do research.

      BRUCE: Somewhere in here, I think, may be the root of the whole business.
      Some people have a knack for seeing the right place to begin work on a
      problem, or on sensing when a much worked-on problem is ready to "go;" they
      are adept at snaking the kinglog out of the jam.

      Addendum from Jeffery Hodges: I think that a couple of things help with that knack: (1) breadth of vision that comes from wide-ranging curiosity and (2) concentration upon narrowly focused questions that can broaden out into broad-ranging solutions.

      Like Prufrock, we should avoid the overwhelming question.

      Jeffery Hodges