Re: [XTalk] Origin(s) of the Lord's Prayer

  • Loren Rosson
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 30, 2008
      Bruce,

      Good points about Taylor, and I should also stress that her assumption that the LP is eschatological is precisely what Jeffrey has been calling into question. Though I understand the HJ to have been apocalyptic, I'm open to Jeffrey's idea. A here-and-now plea for protection against the evils of "this generaton", and for loyal discipleship, can cohere readily enough with apocalyptic thought even if the plea itself isn't apocalyptic.

      Loren Rosson III
      Nashua NH
      http://lorenrosson.blogspot.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 30, 2008
        Loren Rosson wrote:
        > E Bruce Brooks wro
        >
        > Of your alternative suggestions (the Gethsemane prayer, the Baptist, the fixed Jewish prayers), it's this one I've been most drawn to. Has anyone besides Taylor argued that the LP originated with John? (Jeffrey?)

        JK Elliott, "Did the Lord's Prayer Originate with John the Baptist?" TZ
        29 ( 1973) 215.

        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        Chicago, Illinois