Re: [XTalk] antiquity of prayers in Berakoth 60

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 9, 2008
      Bob Schacht wrote:
      > At 01:44 PM 10/8/2008, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
      >
      >> Forgive me if I've asked this before, but do we have any reason to
      >> believe, as J. Jeremias seems to think we do, that the following
      >> prayers now found in BT Berakoth 60b go back to the first century CE?
      >>
      >> Yours,
      >>
      >> Jeffrey
      >>

      > What do the commentaries say about the original language in the text we
      > have? Are there archaisms? or are all the elements of grammar, syntax and
      > vocabulary typically 5th century?

      I am at this point unaware that there **are** commentaries on this text.

      Does anyone here know of any?

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      Chicago, Illinois
      e-mail jgibson000@...

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 9, 2008
        At 01:41 AM 10/9/2008, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
        >Bob Schacht wrote:
        > > At 01:44 PM 10/8/2008, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
        > >
        > >> Forgive me if I've asked this before, but do we have any reason to
        > >> believe, as J. Jeremias seems to think we do, that the following
        > >> prayers now found in BT Berakoth 60b go back to the first century CE?
        > >>
        > >> Yours,
        > >>
        > >> Jeffrey
        > >>

        > > What do the commentaries say about the original language in the text we
        > > have? Are there archaisms? or are all the elements of grammar, syntax and
        > > vocabulary typically 5th century?
        > >
        >I am at this point unaware that there **are** commentaries on this text.
        >
        >Does anyone here know of any?

        Commentaries? Of course there are commentaries!
        * The Mishnah: Berakoth, Peah, Demai; Text with Commentary of R.
        Obadiah of Bertinoro; Translation, Introduction, and New Commentary in
        English; Variant Readings, References, and Short Exegetical Notes in Hebrew
        by Fellows of the Harry Fischel Institute for Research in Talmud, Jerusalem
        by Jacob David Herzog; R. Obadiah (reviewed by Ralph Marcus in JSTOR, The
        Journal of Religion, Vol. 27, No. 1 (Jan., 1947), pp. 60-61 (review
        consists of 2 pages) Published by:
        <http://www.jstor.org/action/showPublisher?publisherCode=ucpress>The
        University of Chicago Press (http://www.jstor.org/pss/1198113)
        * Tractate Berakoth, by , by A. Lukyn Williams, [1921],
        * Berakoth, translated into English with notes, glossary, and indices,
        by Maurice Simon, M.A., under the editorship of Rabbi Dr I. Epstein, B.A.,
        Ph.D., D. Lit.
        * The Mishnah: Berakoth, Peah, Demai, by Jacob David Herzog
        (Translator). (Variant Readings, References, and Short Exegetical Notes In
        Hebrew by Fellows of Harry Fischel Institute For Research.)
        I don't know if these resources specifically have commentary on Berakoth
        60, or the specifics for the questions at hand, but I'll forward your
        original question to Lew Reich, who used to participate in the discussions
        here.

        Bob Schacht
        University of Hawaii

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 9, 2008
          Bob Schacht wrote:
          > At 01:41 AM 10/9/2008, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
          >
          >> Bob Schacht wrote:

          >>> What do the commentaries say about the original language in the text we
          >>> have? Are there archaisms? or are all the elements of grammar, syntax and
          >>> vocabulary typically 5th century?
          >>>

          >> I am at this point unaware that there **are** commentaries on this text.
          >>
          >> Does anyone here know of any?
          >>

          > Commentaries? Of course there are commentaries!
          > * The Mishnah: Berakoth, Peah, Demai; Text with Commentary of R.
          > Obadiah of Bertinoro; Translation, Introduction, and New Commentary in
          > English; Variant Readings, References, and Short Exegetical Notes in Hebrew
          > by Fellows of the Harry Fischel Institute for Research in Talmud, Jerusalem
          > by Jacob David Herzog; R. Obadiah (reviewed by Ralph Marcus in JSTOR, The
          > Journal of Religion, Vol. 27, No. 1 (Jan., 1947), pp. 60-61 (review
          > consists of 2 pages) Published by:
          > <http://www.jstor.org/action/showPublisher?publisherCode=ucpress>The
          > University of Chicago Press (http://www.jstor.org/pss/1198113)
          > * Tractate Berakoth, by , by A. Lukyn Williams, [1921],
          > * Berakoth, translated into English with notes, glossary, and indices,
          > by Maurice Simon, M.A., under the editorship of Rabbi Dr I. Epstein, B.A.,
          > Ph.D., D. Lit.
          > * The Mishnah: Berakoth, Peah, Demai, by Jacob David Herzog
          > (Translator). (Variant Readings, References, and Short Exegetical Notes In
          > Hebrew by Fellows of Harry Fischel Institute For Research.)
          > I don't know if these resources specifically have commentary on Berakoth
          > 60, or the specifics for the questions at hand, but I'll forward your
          > original question to Lew Reich, who used to participate in the discussions
          > here.

          Thanks for this. But please note that the Berakoth text I'm' looking at
          is the Talmudic, not the Mishnaic text.

          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
          1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
          Chicago, Illinois
          e-mail jgibson000@...

        • Matson, Mark (Academic)
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 9, 2008
            Jeffrey:

            here is one commentary. Unfortunately, no library close to me has it:

            The Babylonian Talmud: Tractate Berakot;
            translated into English for the first time, with introduction, commentary, glossary and indices,

            Author(s):

            Cohen, A.; 1887- <http://www2.milligan.edu/WebZ/FSQUERY?searchtype=hotauthors:format=BI:numrecs=10:dbname=WorldCat::termh1=Cohen%5C%2C+A.:indexh1=pn%3D:termh2=1887-:indexh2=pn%3D:operatorh1=AND:sessionid=fsapp8-41367-fm43p1pd-hne0us:entitypagenum=6:0:next=html/records.html:bad=error/badsearch.html> ; (Abraham),; tr.
            Publication: Cambridge [Eng.] University Press,
            Year: 1921
            Language: English
            Standard No: LCCN: 21-21403
            Class Descriptors: LC: BM500 <http://www2.milligan.edu/WebZ/FSQUERY?sessionid=fsapp8-41367-fm43p1pd-hne0us:entitypagenum=6:0:next=html/records.html:bad=html/records.html:format=BI:numrecs=10:indexh1=:termh1=lc%3ABM500:dbname=WorldCat:searchtype=hotlc>

            Mark A. Matson
            Academic Dean
            Milligan College

            Thanks for this. But please note that the Berakoth text I'm' looking at
            is the Talmudic, not the Mishnaic text.

            Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
            1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
            Chicago, Illinois