Re: [XTalk] Re: Jewish-Christian Relations: Amy Jill Levine

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2008
      On Aug 31, 2008, at 5:41 PM, gbdawson wrote:

      > Gordon, I'd like to add two things:
      > First, Dr. Levine will also be speaking in Baltimore at Goucher
      > College on September 11 at 7:30, sponsored by the Institute for
      > Christian and Jewish Studies, giving a lecture with the title:
      > Hearing the Parables Through Jewish Ears: Good Samaritans, Bad
      > Lawyers, and Challenging Teachings.
      > Link: http://www.icjs.org/what/manekin2008.html
      > She is always a great speaker!
      > And second, one of the more sober anecdotes she relates about living
      > in the Bible belt is her experience--twice!--of being asked by white-
      > haired, genteel Protestant ladies where she had her horns removed.
      > So I couldn't agree with you more at how important this kind of
      > education and dialogue is.
      > Gail Dawson
      > Northern Virginia Community College

      Hi Gail,

      The next two lectures were excellent as well. The second was on
      Jewish and Christian use of the TANAK & OT (and she prefers to use
      the term TANAK and OT respectively for each community, versus a
      generic "Hebrew Scriptures") and the third was rather similar to the
      one you site above for Baltimore. Here she did not relate that story
      of Protestant ladies, but rather of being confronted by a Nazi Skin
      head in a public lecture who insisted Jesus was an Aryan. She noted
      that incidents of anti-Judaism/ anti-Semitism are on the rise in some
      places around the world and so the need for such as this sort of
      conversation only gets more important.

      Just on another related note, it was grand to hear the common
      parlance at the Sabbath service (by her and the Rabbi) and again in
      the first Saturday session at the Temple, and then again at the 3rd
      lecture at the branch University of South Carolina lecture hall of
      the midrashic story telling traditions and the very common use of the
      term "Sage" in reference to the interpreters of the heritage. In
      context this term doesn't raise thoughts of some kind of guru figure,
      but rather one who interprets the tradition to enliven and refresh
      it. Dr. Levine did not use this in relationship to HJ, but I thought
      that usage so nicely connected to how it has been talked about by
      those of us who want to insist that the center to understanding
      Jesus, the man, is in his wisdom words. And I mention this here
      because I really think it does provide a nice term for interfaith
      dialogue. Again, she started this all off by comparing Rabbi Hillel
      (one who is also referred to by that term, "sage") and Jesus. Far
      from being "an odd term," I think it is clearly fitting, especially
      for this dialogue.

      Thanks for chiming in!

      Gordon Raynal
      Inman, SC