Re: [XTalk] Books about gospel pericopes

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 23, 2008
      Hi Richard,

      I'll respond to the second paragraph:
      On Jul 23, 2008, at 4:30 PM, Richard Mallett wrote:

      > After receiving zero replies to my last question, I will ask a
      > different (though related) one - are there any books (other than those
      > by the Jesus Seminar) that discuss the gospels pericope by pericope ?
      >
      > Also, how do the Five Gospels and the Acts of Jesus books by the JS
      > look ten years or so down the line ? Have they helped or hindered HJ
      > studies ?
      >
      > --
      > Richard Mallett
      > Eaton Bray, Dunstable
      > South Beds. UK

      From my perspective the "Five Gospels" most especially stands as a
      major achievement that will continue to provoke all manner of serious
      discussion of the language of Jesus for years to come. Part of last
      year's "Jesus Section" at SBL was devoted to a serious discussion of
      the parables and the insights from the 5G work were still very much
      alive there in response to Snodgrass' book. And then considering the
      combined effect of both works, the "on the Road" programs by the
      Jesus Seminar continue to grow. The work of the Seminar continues on
      Acts and on Earliest Christianity drawing yet more scholars to these
      discussions. Such as Amy-Jill Levine, who has been a critic and
      sparring partner, took part in these discussions and debates this
      Spring. Both works are very much alive in the background of that
      work. Whether one's response is pro or con, I think it is very fair
      to say that these are benchmark works that will continue to be
      resourced and debated for a long time.

      Gordon Raynal
      Inman, SC

    • gbdawson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 24, 2008
        Hi Richard and Gordon,

        And I'll respond to the first paragraph:

        Standard scholarly commentaries take a pericope-by-pericope approach.
        See these series: Sacra Pagina, Hermeneia, Word Biblical Commentary,
        Anchor Bible, many others. Best bet is a visit to a theological
        library.

        Gail Dawson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 24, 2008
          At 10:30 AM 7/23/2008, Richard Mallett wrote:
          >After receiving zero replies to my last question, I will ask a
          >different (though related) one - are there any books (other than those
          >by the Jesus Seminar) that discuss the gospels pericope by pericope ?
          >
          >Also, how do the Five Gospels and the Acts of Jesus books by the JS
          >look ten years or so down the line ? Have they helped or hindered HJ
          >studies ?
          >
          >--
          >Richard Mallett
          >Eaton Bray, Dunstable
          >South Beds. UK

          I can only answer for myself, but the two books you mention are usually
          where I start with any exegetical work.
          However, as you may also recall, I frequently disagree with their analysis.

          Bob Schacht
          University of Hawaii