Re: [XTalk] Books about gospel pericopes

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 23, 2008
      From: "Richard Mallett" <100114.573@...>
      To: <crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:30 PM
      Subject: [XTalk] Books about gospel pericopes

      > After receiving zero replies to my last question, I will ask a
      > different (though related) one - are there any books (other than those
      > by the Jesus Seminar) that discuss the gospels pericope by pericope ?

      I think many books that focus on a specific gospes follows this format. The
      two volume work on the Gospel of Luke by Joseph Fitzmyer is one I use often.

      > Also, how do the Five Gospels and the Acts of Jesus books by the JS
      > look ten years or so down the line ? Have they helped or hindered HJ
      > studies ?

      Since I am of the opinion that all we can really learn of the HJ is found in
      his words, I still find the JS books helpful but only as a "jumping off
      point." There are many that did not agree with their methodology but did
      agree with the principle.

      Regards,

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      San Antonio, TX
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 23, 2008
        Hi Richard,

        I'll respond to the second paragraph:
        On Jul 23, 2008, at 4:30 PM, Richard Mallett wrote:

        > After receiving zero replies to my last question, I will ask a
        > different (though related) one - are there any books (other than those
        > by the Jesus Seminar) that discuss the gospels pericope by pericope ?
        >
        > Also, how do the Five Gospels and the Acts of Jesus books by the JS
        > look ten years or so down the line ? Have they helped or hindered HJ
        > studies ?
        >
        > --
        > Richard Mallett
        > Eaton Bray, Dunstable
        > South Beds. UK

        From my perspective the "Five Gospels" most especially stands as a
        major achievement that will continue to provoke all manner of serious
        discussion of the language of Jesus for years to come. Part of last
        year's "Jesus Section" at SBL was devoted to a serious discussion of
        the parables and the insights from the 5G work were still very much
        alive there in response to Snodgrass' book. And then considering the
        combined effect of both works, the "on the Road" programs by the
        Jesus Seminar continue to grow. The work of the Seminar continues on
        Acts and on Earliest Christianity drawing yet more scholars to these
        discussions. Such as Amy-Jill Levine, who has been a critic and
        sparring partner, took part in these discussions and debates this
        Spring. Both works are very much alive in the background of that
        work. Whether one's response is pro or con, I think it is very fair
        to say that these are benchmark works that will continue to be
        resourced and debated for a long time.

        Gordon Raynal
        Inman, SC

      • gbdawson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 24, 2008
          Hi Richard and Gordon,

          And I'll respond to the first paragraph:

          Standard scholarly commentaries take a pericope-by-pericope approach.
          See these series: Sacra Pagina, Hermeneia, Word Biblical Commentary,
          Anchor Bible, many others. Best bet is a visit to a theological
          library.

          Gail Dawson
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 24, 2008
            At 10:30 AM 7/23/2008, Richard Mallett wrote:
            >After receiving zero replies to my last question, I will ask a
            >different (though related) one - are there any books (other than those
            >by the Jesus Seminar) that discuss the gospels pericope by pericope ?
            >
            >Also, how do the Five Gospels and the Acts of Jesus books by the JS
            >look ten years or so down the line ? Have they helped or hindered HJ
            >studies ?
            >
            >--
            >Richard Mallett
            >Eaton Bray, Dunstable
            >South Beds. UK

            I can only answer for myself, but the two books you mention are usually
            where I start with any exegetical work.
            However, as you may also recall, I frequently disagree with their analysis.

            Bob Schacht
            University of Hawaii