Books about gospel pericopes

  • Richard Mallett
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 23, 2008
      After receiving zero replies to my last question, I will ask a
      different (though related) one - are there any books (other than those
      by the Jesus Seminar) that discuss the gospels pericope by pericope ?

      Also, how do the Five Gospels and the Acts of Jesus books by the JS
      look ten years or so down the line ? Have they helped or hindered HJ
      studies ?

      --
      Richard Mallett
      Eaton Bray, Dunstable
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 23, 2008
        > After receiving zero replies to my last question, I will ask a
        > different (though related) one - are there any books (other than those
        > by the Jesus Seminar) that discuss the gospels pericope by pericope ?

        I think many books that focus on a specific gospes follows this format. The
        two volume work on the Gospel of Luke by Joseph Fitzmyer is one I use often.

        > Also, how do the Five Gospels and the Acts of Jesus books by the JS
        > look ten years or so down the line ? Have they helped or hindered HJ
        > studies ?

        Since I am of the opinion that all we can really learn of the HJ is found in
        his words, I still find the JS books helpful but only as a "jumping off
        point." There are many that did not agree with their methodology but did
        agree with the principle.

        Regards,

        Jack

        Jack Kilmon
        San Antonio, TX
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 23, 2008
          Hi Richard,

          I'll respond to the second paragraph:
          On Jul 23, 2008, at 4:30 PM, Richard Mallett wrote:

          > After receiving zero replies to my last question, I will ask a
          > different (though related) one - are there any books (other than those
          > by the Jesus Seminar) that discuss the gospels pericope by pericope ?
          >
          > Also, how do the Five Gospels and the Acts of Jesus books by the JS
          > look ten years or so down the line ? Have they helped or hindered HJ
          > studies ?
          >
          > --
          > Richard Mallett
          > Eaton Bray, Dunstable
          > South Beds. UK

          From my perspective the "Five Gospels" most especially stands as a
          major achievement that will continue to provoke all manner of serious
          discussion of the language of Jesus for years to come. Part of last
          year's "Jesus Section" at SBL was devoted to a serious discussion of
          the parables and the insights from the 5G work were still very much
          alive there in response to Snodgrass' book. And then considering the
          combined effect of both works, the "on the Road" programs by the
          Jesus Seminar continue to grow. The work of the Seminar continues on
          Acts and on Earliest Christianity drawing yet more scholars to these
          discussions. Such as Amy-Jill Levine, who has been a critic and
          sparring partner, took part in these discussions and debates this
          Spring. Both works are very much alive in the background of that
          work. Whether one's response is pro or con, I think it is very fair
          to say that these are benchmark works that will continue to be
          resourced and debated for a long time.

          Gordon Raynal
          Inman, SC

        • gbdawson
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 24, 2008
            Hi Richard and Gordon,

            And I'll respond to the first paragraph:

            Standard scholarly commentaries take a pericope-by-pericope approach.
            See these series: Sacra Pagina, Hermeneia, Word Biblical Commentary,
            Anchor Bible, many others. Best bet is a visit to a theological
            library.

            Gail Dawson
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 24, 2008
              At 10:30 AM 7/23/2008, Richard Mallett wrote:
              >After receiving zero replies to my last question, I will ask a
              >different (though related) one - are there any books (other than those
              >by the Jesus Seminar) that discuss the gospels pericope by pericope ?
              >
              >Also, how do the Five Gospels and the Acts of Jesus books by the JS
              >look ten years or so down the line ? Have they helped or hindered HJ
              >studies ?
              >
              >--
              >Richard Mallett
              >Eaton Bray, Dunstable
              >South Beds. UK

              I can only answer for myself, but the two books you mention are usually
              where I start with any exegetical work.
              However, as you may also recall, I frequently disagree with their analysis.

              Bob Schacht
              University of Hawaii