Re: [XTalk] Re: Are e-lists dying? (final post)

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 16, 2008
      At 04:03 AM 7/16/2008, drjewest wrote:

      >...Further, some lists are quivering on the brink of disuse because they
      >have allowed the loons to take over. This happened on the old ANE
      >list. The new ANE-2 is tightly moderated and thus quite engaging.
      >For one thing that scholars loathe is idiocy. Lists which let anyone
      >post anything on any topic no matter their qualifications or lack
      >thereof to offer an opinion are doomed to spin off into madness. The
      >'biblica-list' is a recent example. It was started because
      >disgruntled persons who weren't 'getting their way' elsewhere wanted
      >to have their way in spite of the inevitable consequences (or because
      >they failed to appreciate the consequences)....

      Well, one needn't go over to biblica-list for an example; you can find your
      test case right here. XTalk, originally CrossTalk, was born in 1996 as an
      UNmoderated list. Eventually, it was monopolized(?) by a few cranks, and
      the list's future was in jeopardy. Fortunately, Jeffrey Gibson hatched a
      plan to save the list, and with assistance from a few henchmen assistants,
      and the permission of previous host HarperCollinsSanFrancisco, moved the
      list from the HarperCollins server to its present location, where it
      survives as a moderated list with aforementioned Gibson as
      moderator-in-chief. I am grateful to Jeffrey for his initiative in saving
      this list from a premature demise. He still does most of the heavy lifting
      on this list behind the scenes, and we all owe him our thanks. He is
      assisted occasionally behind the scenes by a few assistants. If you want
      to know who they are, you can visit our website at
      http://ntgateway.com/xtalk/#managers
      which, I am embarrassed to say, is badly out of date (Memo to...)

      Bob in HI