Re: [XTalk] Question

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 15, 2008
      Of course it is unsubstantiated, Jim, but Jesus scholarship seems, to me, to
      assume Jesus lived in a cave or a society similar to some of the deep bush
      tribes I have visited. By the first century BCE, Buddhism had spread
      throughout China and to the Middle East. It was established in Arabia in
      the 1st century BCE. Buddhism, like later Christianity, followed the
      merchants and the trade routes and Jesus lived in those crossroads. It
      seems to me that there are some assumptions we can make from the social and
      cross-cultural anthropology of the 1st century Levant. I don't think Jesus'
      intellectual stimulation and exchanges came from supernatural sources.
      Jewish trade arrived in the Galilee from the silk road and from Kerala to
      Ezion-Geber. This trade had exiated since the Phoenicians in the 3rd
      millennium BCE.

      Buddhism had already accomplished in the East what Christianity would also
      accomplish in the West 500 years after Jesus' death. Both shared a common
      theme and a common societal audience. IMO, if Jesus was an intellectual
      (and I think he was) and talked to all kinds of people from all walks of
      life (and I think he did) instead of spending his first 30 years of life
      under a rock, he knew about Buddhism.

      Did he go to India and chant with a guru? Naaaaah!

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      San Antonio, TX