Re: [XTalk] Question

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 15, 2008
      We agree completely on sentence one (except I would say it IS impossible
      to sort out this from the loony stuff, because it is loony). And with
      sentence two, first half. But exactly how is it that you know that
      Jesus 'had to have had some knowledge of Buddhist ideals"???

      This is historically unsubstantiated.

      > I have always found this issue difficult to sort out from the loony stuff
      > such as manuscript hoaxes and fringe books. At the end of the day, I
      > do not
      > believe Jesus went to India but he had to have had some knowledge of
      > Buddhist ideals.
      >
      > Jack
      >
      > Jack Kilmon

      ++++++

      Jim West, ThD

      http://jwest.wordpress.com -- Blog
      http://drjewest.googlepages.com - Biblical Studies Resources
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 15, 2008
        Of course it is unsubstantiated, Jim, but Jesus scholarship seems, to me, to
        assume Jesus lived in a cave or a society similar to some of the deep bush
        tribes I have visited. By the first century BCE, Buddhism had spread
        throughout China and to the Middle East. It was established in Arabia in
        the 1st century BCE. Buddhism, like later Christianity, followed the
        merchants and the trade routes and Jesus lived in those crossroads. It
        seems to me that there are some assumptions we can make from the social and
        cross-cultural anthropology of the 1st century Levant. I don't think Jesus'
        intellectual stimulation and exchanges came from supernatural sources.
        Jewish trade arrived in the Galilee from the silk road and from Kerala to
        Ezion-Geber. This trade had exiated since the Phoenicians in the 3rd
        millennium BCE.

        Buddhism had already accomplished in the East what Christianity would also
        accomplish in the West 500 years after Jesus' death. Both shared a common
        theme and a common societal audience. IMO, if Jesus was an intellectual
        (and I think he was) and talked to all kinds of people from all walks of
        life (and I think he did) instead of spending his first 30 years of life
        under a rock, he knew about Buddhism.

        Did he go to India and chant with a guru? Naaaaah!

        Jack

        Jack Kilmon
        San Antonio, TX