RE: [XTalk] Jesus and Religonsgeschichtliche Schuele Ideas: Horace and Astrology

  • Ken Olson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 4, 2008
      Ken,

      I don't know about those two particular theories, but you might take a look at:

      B. M. Metzger, �Methodology in the Study of
      Mystery Religions and Early Christianity,� Harvard Theological review 48 (1955)
      1-20. Reprinted in Metzger, Historical
      and Literary Studies: Pagan, Jewish, and Christian (Grand Rapids; Eerdmans, 1968) 1-24. I�m sure you can find this online if you
      google "Metzger" and "pagan".

      Best,

      Ken

      Ken Olson
      NT PhD Student
      Duke University

      To: crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com
      From: javajedi2@...
      Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 04:49:36 +0000
      Subject: [XTalk] Jesus and Religonsgeschichtliche Schuele Ideas: Horace and Astrology

      My impression was that all the theories about the gospel writers

      creating t=

      he story of Jesus out of some other religion, like a mystery religion

      or th=

      e like, were long ago abandoned by just about everyone, regardless of

      their=

      perspective on the historical credibility of the gospels. Apparently

      not,=

      as I recently encountered someone making two sets of claims:

      1. The gospel accounts of Jesus =E2=80=9Cthe son of God=E2=80=9D

      are based =

      upon the story of the Sun god Horace, of Egyptian origin.

      2. The story of Jesus is based upon astrological elements.=20=20

      I assume that such theories have been propounded and long ago

      discredited but I have not so far been able to find anything on these

      tow particular suggestions, positive or negative. Can anyone suggest

      a place to read? Thanks.

      Ken Litwak, Ph.D.

      Adjunct Professor of New Testament

      Azusa Pacific University

      Azusa, CA

      =20=20=20=20=20=

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 4, 2008
        Ken Olson wrote:
        > Ken,
        >
        > I don't know about those two particular theories, but you might take a look at:
        >
        > B. M. Metzger, �Methodology in the Study of
        > Mystery Religions and Early Christianity,� Harvard Theological review 48 (1955)
        > 1-20. Reprinted in Metzger, Historical
        > and Literary Studies: Pagan, Jewish, and Christian (Grand Rapids; Eerdmans, 1968) 1-24. I�m sure you can find this online if you
        > google "Metzger" and "pagan".

        And by all means, run, don't walk, to the library to get Smith's
        _Drudgery Divine_.

        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        Chicago, Illinois