Jesus and Religonsgeschichtliche Schuele Ideas: Horace and Astrology

  • JavaJedi2
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
      My impression was that all the theories about the gospel writers
      creating t=
      he story of Jesus out of some other religion, like a mystery religion
      or th=
      e like, were long ago abandoned by just about everyone, regardless of
      their=
      perspective on the historical credibility of the gospels. Apparently
      not,=
      as I recently encountered someone making two sets of claims:
      1. The gospel accounts of Jesus =E2=80=9Cthe son of God=E2=80=9D
      are based =
      upon the story of the Sun god Horace, of Egyptian origin.
      2. The story of Jesus is based upon astrological elements.=20=20

      I assume that such theories have been propounded and long ago
      discredited but I have not so far been able to find anything on these
      tow particular suggestions, positive or negative. Can anyone suggest
      a place to read? Thanks.

      Ken Litwak, Ph.D.
      Adjunct Professor of New Testament
      Azusa Pacific University
      Azusa, CA

      =20=20=20=20=20=
    • david cook
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2008
        I guess Horace here should be Horus.
        David Cook

        To: crosstalk2@yahoogroups.comFrom: javajedi2@...: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 04:49:36 +0000Subject: [XTalk] Jesus and Religonsgeschichtliche Schuele Ideas: Horace and Astrology

[...]

      • Ken Olson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2008
          Ken,

          I don't know about those two particular theories, but you might take a look at:

          B. M. Metzger, �Methodology in the Study of
          Mystery Religions and Early Christianity,� Harvard Theological review 48 (1955)
          1-20. Reprinted in Metzger, Historical
          and Literary Studies: Pagan, Jewish, and Christian (Grand Rapids; Eerdmans, 1968) 1-24. I�m sure you can find this online if you
          google "Metzger" and "pagan".

          Best,

          Ken

          Ken Olson
          NT PhD Student
          Duke University

          To: crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4, 2008
            Ken Olson wrote:
            > Ken,
            >
            > I don't know about those two particular theories, but you might take a look at:
            >
            > B. M. Metzger, �Methodology in the Study of
            > Mystery Religions and Early Christianity,� Harvard Theological review 48 (1955)
            > 1-20. Reprinted in Metzger, Historical
            > and Literary Studies: Pagan, Jewish, and Christian (Grand Rapids; Eerdmans, 1968) 1-24. I�m sure you can find this online if you
            > google "Metzger" and "pagan".

            And by all means, run, don't walk, to the library to get Smith's
            _Drudgery Divine_.

            Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
            1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
            Chicago, Illinois