Mark 3:21; 3:31-35

  • Harold J. Staiti
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2008
      --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon@...> wrote:
      > Mark has an obvious antipathy toward Jesus' family
      > (3:21; 3:31-35) and excludes them from the mission as does the
      > interpolation at John 7:5. The only reason I can think of for
      > this anti-family bias was to prevent proselytes from joining
      > the Jacobian group in Jerusalem from which the desposynoi arose.

      Jack,
      There may be another reason which is ecclesiastic in nature rather
      than a historical narrative of Jesus. The inclusio of 3.20-35, of
      which 20-21/1-35 focus on family, may reflect Mark's pastoral
      concerns ~for believers~ at the time of his authorship.

      As you know, during the time Mark wrote his Gospel, believers had
      already been expelled from Rome and the rejection by the synagogue
      had begun. Messianic believers were losing family and friends because
      of their faith. Their beliefs brought criticism and disassociation
      from their religious leaders (3.23-30) as well as family (3.20-21/1-
      35).

      The inclusio looks like this
      A Concern of believer's friends and family 3.20-21
      ..... B Criticism of the Jerusalem leaders 3.22-30
      A' Consolation for believers Mark 3.31-35

      The passage suggests Mark gave pastoral care by defining a believer,
      not by Jerusalem critics, not even family who reject them, but by
      their new "family" of believers - Messianic believers who do the will
      of God.

      The passage's structure and historical context during the time of its
      authorship suggests those distanced from friends and family because
      of their faith in Jesus Christ can take consolation in a new
      community of faith and a new family.

      ---
      Harry Staiti
      http://360.yahoo.com/ebernorby