Re: [XTalk] Re: [Synoptic-L] sources of Matt. 4:1-11//Lk. 4:1-13

  • David Cavanagh
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 11, 2008
      Mark Goodacre wrote:

      > One thing that needs to be discussed by advocates of the Two-Source
      > Theory is the phenomenon here of so-called Mark-Q overlap. In other
      > words, we have to reckon with the issues that are thrown up by major
      > agreements between Matthew and Luke against Mark, agreement in order,
      > in extensive wording, and so on. Issues include the questions about
      > how Mark and Q happen to agree, Marcan knowledge of Q, Q's knowledge
      > of Mark or Mark's and Q's mutual knowledge of a hypothetical source.

      May I suggest that one possible solution is that Mark actually knew "Q"
      (assuming it actually existed!) but chose to edit it quite radically? We
      know that Mark was perfectly capable of shaping his material to suit his
      theological tendencies. Leaving aside the well-know gloss in Mark 7:19b
      (Jesus declaring all foods clean), it seems to me that this tendency is
      illustrated by Mark's treatment of John the Baptist's proclamation of
      the Coming One and the associated baptism in the Spirit. Whereas Matthew
      and Luke agree in reporting John as announcing a baptism in "spirit
      (wind) and fire", which is both grace and judgment (I'm here summarizing
      Dunn's study in his early book "Baptism in the Holy Spirit" (London: SCM
      Press, 1970), Mark presents us with a baptism only in "Spirit" which
      seems to reflect a later Christian understanding of the
      spirit-initiation. If so, Mark may have chosen to edit (correct?) "Q",
      only to have Matthew and Luke come along and "put him right" in his
      turn......Might something similar have happened also elsewhere,
      including the Temptation/Test narrative?

      David Cavanagh
      Major (The Salvation Army)
      Naples (Italy)