Re: [XTalk] Bultmann quote

  • Horace Jeffery Hodges
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2 12:38 PM
      Isn't that from the History of the Synoptic Tradition? I'm not sure from where, though, for I can't locate my copy.

      Jeffery Hodges

      Graham Twelftree <grahtwe@...> wrote:
      Friends:

      I have lost track of the source for this statement by Bultmann.

      "I do not believe it is possible to state sufficiently sharply the contrast in the New Testament canon between the Synoptic Gospels on the one hand and the Pauline letters and later literature on the other. It must still be a puzzle to understand why Christianity, in which Pauline and post-Pauline tendencies played so dominant a role, should also have the motives which drove it to take over and shape the Synoptic tradition out of the Palestinian Church."

      Can anyone help me?

      Thanks,

      Graham Twelftree

      List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      University Degrees:

      Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
      M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley

      Email Address:

      jefferyhodges@...

      Blog:

      http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/

      Office Address:

      School of English, Kyung Hee University
      1 Hoegi-dong, Dongdaemun-gu
      Seoul, 130-701
      South Korea

      Home Address:

      Gunyoung Apt. 102-204
      Sangbong-dong 1
      Jungnang-gu
      Seoul 131-771
      South Korea

    • Graham Twelftree
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2 12:46 PM
        Hi Jeff,

        Thanks. Stephen Goranson tracked it down to page 303, Bultmann, History of the Synoptic Tradition (Oxford: Basil
        Blackwell, 1972; trans. John Marsh).

        http://www.regent.edu/acad/schdiv/faculty_staff/twelftree.shtml

        List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com<mailto:crosstalk2-owners%40yahoogroups.com>

        jefferyhodges@...<mailto:jefferyhodges%40yahoo.com>