RE: [XTalk] Bultmann quote

  • Graham Twelftree
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2 10:38 AM
      My thanks, indeed.
      From: crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of goranson@...
      Sent: Friday, May 02, 2008 1:20 PM
      To: crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [XTalk] Bultmann quote

      Page 303, Bultmann, History of the Synoptic Tradition (Oxford: Basil
      Blackwell,
      1972; trans. John Marsh).
      Stephen Goranson
      http://www.duke.edu/~goranson

      Quoting Graham Twelftree <grahtwe@...<mailto:grahtwe%40regent.edu>>:

      > Friends:
      >
      > I have lost track of the source for this statement by Bultmann.
      >
      > "I do not believe it is possible to state sufficiently sharply the
      > contrast in the New Testament canon between the Synoptic Gospels on
      > the one hand and the Pauline letters and later literature on the
      > other. It must still be a puzzle to understand why Christianity, in
      > which Pauline and post-Pauline tendencies played so dominant a role,
      > should also have the motives which drove it to take over and shape
      > the Synoptic tradition out of the Palestinian Church."
      >
      > Can anyone help me?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Graham Twelftree

    • Horace Jeffery Hodges
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2 12:38 PM
        Isn't that from the History of the Synoptic Tradition? I'm not sure from where, though, for I can't locate my copy.

        Jeffery Hodges

        Graham Twelftree <grahtwe@...> wrote:
        Friends:

        I have lost track of the source for this statement by Bultmann.

        "I do not believe it is possible to state sufficiently sharply the contrast in the New Testament canon between the Synoptic Gospels on the one hand and the Pauline letters and later literature on the other. It must still be a puzzle to understand why Christianity, in which Pauline and post-Pauline tendencies played so dominant a role, should also have the motives which drove it to take over and shape the Synoptic tradition out of the Palestinian Church."

        Can anyone help me?

        Thanks,

        Graham Twelftree

        List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        University Degrees:

        Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
        M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley

        Email Address:

        jefferyhodges@...

        Blog:

        http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/

        Office Address:

        School of English, Kyung Hee University
        1 Hoegi-dong, Dongdaemun-gu
        Seoul, 130-701
        South Korea

        Home Address:

        Gunyoung Apt. 102-204
        Sangbong-dong 1
        Jungnang-gu
        Seoul 131-771
        South Korea

      • Graham Twelftree
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2 12:46 PM
          Hi Jeff,

          Thanks. Stephen Goranson tracked it down to page 303, Bultmann, History of the Synoptic Tradition (Oxford: Basil
          Blackwell, 1972; trans. John Marsh).

          http://www.regent.edu/acad/schdiv/faculty_staff/twelftree.shtml

          List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com<mailto:crosstalk2-owners%40yahoogroups.com>

          jefferyhodges@...<mailto:jefferyhodges%40yahoo.com>