Re: [XTalk] conversion narratives?

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30 5:17 PM
      Rikk Watts wrote:
      > Does any one know of any particular works devoted to NT conversion
      > narratives? I'm sure Paul's accounts have been looked at in detail, but I'm
      > thinking of conversion stories in general.

      There's /Conversion in the New Testament: Paul and the Twelve/ **by
      Richard Peace.

      From /Darkness to Light: Aspects of Conversion in the New Testament /by
      Beverly Gaventa.

      Out own Zeb Crook's /Reconceptualising Conversion: Patronage, Loyalty,
      and Conversion in the Religions of the Ancient Mediterranean/
      **
      And what about A.D. Nock's /Conversion: The Old and the New in Religion
      from Alexander the Great to Augustine of Hippo/?

      You might want to explore concepts like "new birth" as well.

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      Chicago, Illinois
      e-mail jgibson000@...

    • dougwilson24
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2008
        --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, Rikk Watts <rwatts@...> wrote:

        > Does any one know of any particular works devoted to NT conversion
        > narratives? I'm sure Paul's accounts have been looked at in detail, but I'm
        > thinking of conversion stories in general.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Rikk Watts (Cantab)
        > Regent College, Vancouver

        Rikk:

        Scot McKnight, Turning to Jesus: The Sociology of Conversion in the Gospels

        And the forthcoming Scot McKnight and Hauna Ondrey, Finding Faith, Losing Faith: Stories
        of Conversion and Apostasy

        Warmly,

        Doug Wilson
        Senior Pastor
        Bethany - A Place of New Beginnings
        763 N. Sunset Avenue
        West Covina, CA 91790-1298

        email: newbeginning@...

        Past Adjunct Professor at Azusa Pacific University
      • Lisbeth S. Fried
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2008
          I’m sure you already know about Alan Segal’s Paul the Convert, Yale
          University Press.

          Liz Fried

          Ann Arbor

          _____

          > Does any one know of any particular works devoted to NT conversion
          > narratives? I'm sure Paul's accounts have been looked at in detail, but
          I'm
          > thinking of conversion stories in general.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Rikk Watts (Cantab)
          > Regent College, Vancouver

          Rikk:

          Scot McKnight, Turning to Jesus: The Sociology of Conversion in the Gospels

          And the forthcoming Scot McKnight and Hauna Ondrey, Finding Faith, Losing
          Faith: Stories
          of Conversion and Apostasy

          Warmly,

          Doug Wilson
          Senior Pastor
          Bethany - A Place of New Beginnings
          763 N. Sunset Avenue
          West Covina, CA 91790-1298

          email: newbeginning@ <mailto:newbeginning%40earthlink.net> earthlink.net

          Past Adjunct Professor at Azusa Pacific University