conversion narratives?

  • Rikk Watts
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30 4:57 PM
      Does any one know of any particular works devoted to NT conversion
      narratives? I'm sure Paul's accounts have been looked at in detail, but I'm
      thinking of conversion stories in general.

      Thanks

      Rikk Watts (Cantab)
      Regent College, Vancouver
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30 5:17 PM
        Rikk Watts wrote:
        > Does any one know of any particular works devoted to NT conversion
        > narratives? I'm sure Paul's accounts have been looked at in detail, but I'm
        > thinking of conversion stories in general.

        There's /Conversion in the New Testament: Paul and the Twelve/ **by
        Richard Peace.

        From /Darkness to Light: Aspects of Conversion in the New Testament /by
        Beverly Gaventa.

        Out own Zeb Crook's /Reconceptualising Conversion: Patronage, Loyalty,
        and Conversion in the Religions of the Ancient Mediterranean/
        **
        And what about A.D. Nock's /Conversion: The Old and the New in Religion
        from Alexander the Great to Augustine of Hippo/?

        You might want to explore concepts like "new birth" as well.

        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        Chicago, Illinois
        e-mail jgibson000@...

      • dougwilson24
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2008
          --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, Rikk Watts <rwatts@...> wrote:

          > Does any one know of any particular works devoted to NT conversion
          > narratives? I'm sure Paul's accounts have been looked at in detail, but I'm
          > thinking of conversion stories in general.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Rikk Watts (Cantab)
          > Regent College, Vancouver

          Rikk:

          Scot McKnight, Turning to Jesus: The Sociology of Conversion in the Gospels

          And the forthcoming Scot McKnight and Hauna Ondrey, Finding Faith, Losing Faith: Stories
          of Conversion and Apostasy

          Warmly,

          Doug Wilson
          Senior Pastor
          Bethany - A Place of New Beginnings
          763 N. Sunset Avenue
          West Covina, CA 91790-1298

          email: newbeginning@...

          Past Adjunct Professor at Azusa Pacific University
        • Lisbeth S. Fried
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2008
            I’m sure you already know about Alan Segal’s Paul the Convert, Yale
            University Press.

            Liz Fried

            Ann Arbor

            _____

            > Does any one know of any particular works devoted to NT conversion
            > narratives? I'm sure Paul's accounts have been looked at in detail, but
            I'm
            > thinking of conversion stories in general.
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Rikk Watts (Cantab)
            > Regent College, Vancouver

            Rikk:

            Scot McKnight, Turning to Jesus: The Sociology of Conversion in the Gospels

            And the forthcoming Scot McKnight and Hauna Ondrey, Finding Faith, Losing
            Faith: Stories
            of Conversion and Apostasy

            Warmly,

            Doug Wilson
            Senior Pastor
            Bethany - A Place of New Beginnings
            763 N. Sunset Avenue
            West Covina, CA 91790-1298

            email: newbeginning@ <mailto:newbeginning%40earthlink.net> earthlink.net

            Past Adjunct Professor at Azusa Pacific University