Re: [XTalk] Matt 4:3//Lk. 4:3

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2008
      David Cavanagh wrote:
      > Dear Jeffrey,
      >
      > Thanks....so the point would be that instead of proving his own power,
      > Jesus is being tempted to prove that he (the personal representative of
      > the new Israel) is specially favoured by God?

      First of all, he is not tempted. He is tested. And there is absolutely
      no hint in the "temptation" story that Jesus is in need of, or is in any
      way concerned about, having it proved that he is the object of God's
      special favour. That he is -- and that he and the Devil know it -- is
      the presupposition of the story.

      Jesus is tested to see if he will refuse to do what Israel did when
      under the hardship of 'hunger', they, contrary to what Deut. 8: (cf.
      esp. vv. 15-17; cf. Deut. 6:16) says they should have done, put god to
      the test and demanded that God fulfill his obligations to "his son" by
      feeding them.

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      Chicago, Illinois
      e-mail jgibson000@...
    • David Cavanagh
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30, 2008

        > Dear Jeffrey, you wrote:
        > >
        > First of all, he is not tempted. He is tested. And there is absolutely
        > no hint in the "temptation" story that Jesus is in need of, or is in any
        > way concerned about, having it proved that he is the object of God's
        > special favour. That he is -- and that he and the Devil know it -- is
        > the presupposition of the story.

        Fair point about temptation and testing: I'm aware of the argument, but
        just followed the traditional (and majority) translation.

        If Jesus is being paralleled with Israel, however, I suggest that builds
        in the question of God's favour. That both Jesus and the Devil know that
        Jesus is God's "son" is true; but unless we opt for a simple appeal for
        hunger, what is the Devil supposed to be hinging the test on? "Go on, if
        you're really God's (beloved) Son, prove it! Tell him to turn these
        stones into bread, then you'll have something to eat!". I'm aware, as
        you suggest in the following paragraph (below) that the issue at stake
        is trust -but the nature of testing/temptation is that the real issue is
        veiled (it's not very effective to say, "I'm going to test your trust
        now"!).

        > Jesus is tested to see if he will refuse to do what Israel did when
        > under the hardship of 'hunger', they, contrary to what Deut. 8: (cf.
        > esp. vv. 15-17; cf. Deut. 6:16) says they should have done, put god to
        > the test and demanded that God fulfill his obligations to "his son" by
        > feeding them.

        David Cavanagh
        Major (The Salvation Army)
        Naples (Italy)