Re: [XTalk] Matt 4:3//Lk. 4:3

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2008
      David Cavanagh wrote:
      > Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
      >
      >> What evidence may be put forward to support the claim that GENWNTAI in
      >> Matt. 4:3//Lk. 4:3 means 'be made', not 'become', and that the hINA
      >> found there is "ecbatic" or eventual?

      Dear Jeffrey,
      > Sorry to be so thick, but can you explain the point of the question for
      > the benefit of a poor amateur theologian who often doesn't get the
      > technical niceties?

      It would mean that the petition is not aimed at getting Jesus to work a miracle, but to induce Jesus to act like Israel did when it was hungered to demand that God produce one for him.

      In other words, instead of meaning 'You yourself, Jesus, through power
      which you possess as Son of God, make these(this) stones(stone) bread',
      as it usually thought to do, it would mean 'Give the command (to God)
      in order that these stones might be made (by God into) bread. After
      all, that's what Jesus' reply to the petition suggests that it means.

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      Chicago, Illinois
      e-mail jgibson000@...
    • David Cavanagh
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30, 2008
        Dear Jeffrey,

        Thanks....so the point would be that instead of proving his own power,
        Jesus is being tempted to prove that he (the personal representative of
        the new Israel) is specially favoured by God?

        David Cavanagh
        Major (The Salvation Army)
        Naples (Italy)

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 30, 2008
          David Cavanagh wrote:
          > Dear Jeffrey,
          >
          > Thanks....so the point would be that instead of proving his own power,
          > Jesus is being tempted to prove that he (the personal representative of
          > the new Israel) is specially favoured by God?

          First of all, he is not tempted. He is tested. And there is absolutely
          no hint in the "temptation" story that Jesus is in need of, or is in any
          way concerned about, having it proved that he is the object of God's
          special favour. That he is -- and that he and the Devil know it -- is
          the presupposition of the story.

          Jesus is tested to see if he will refuse to do what Israel did when
          under the hardship of 'hunger', they, contrary to what Deut. 8: (cf.
          esp. vv. 15-17; cf. Deut. 6:16) says they should have done, put god to
          the test and demanded that God fulfill his obligations to "his son" by
          feeding them.

          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
          1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
          Chicago, Illinois
          e-mail jgibson000@...
        • David Cavanagh
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 30, 2008

            > Dear Jeffrey, you wrote:
            > >
            > First of all, he is not tempted. He is tested. And there is absolutely
            > no hint in the "temptation" story that Jesus is in need of, or is in any
            > way concerned about, having it proved that he is the object of God's
            > special favour. That he is -- and that he and the Devil know it -- is
            > the presupposition of the story.

            Fair point about temptation and testing: I'm aware of the argument, but
            just followed the traditional (and majority) translation.

            If Jesus is being paralleled with Israel, however, I suggest that builds
            in the question of God's favour. That both Jesus and the Devil know that
            Jesus is God's "son" is true; but unless we opt for a simple appeal for
            hunger, what is the Devil supposed to be hinging the test on? "Go on, if
            you're really God's (beloved) Son, prove it! Tell him to turn these
            stones into bread, then you'll have something to eat!". I'm aware, as
            you suggest in the following paragraph (below) that the issue at stake
            is trust -but the nature of testing/temptation is that the real issue is
            veiled (it's not very effective to say, "I'm going to test your trust
            now"!).

            > Jesus is tested to see if he will refuse to do what Israel did when
            > under the hardship of 'hunger', they, contrary to what Deut. 8: (cf.
            > esp. vv. 15-17; cf. Deut. 6:16) says they should have done, put god to
            > the test and demanded that God fulfill his obligations to "his son" by
            > feeding them.

            David Cavanagh
            Major (The Salvation Army)
            Naples (Italy)