Re: [XTalk] Galilean Economics

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 23, 2008
      Durn Bill. A quick trip to Amazon and I am $32.60 poorer. You better
      autograph it for me.

      Seriously, it looks like a great read and an important one. I amred-faced
      that I missed it.

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      San Antonio, TX

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 23, 2008
        Too bad. Eisenbrauns has it for $20.80...

        Bigger isn't always cheaper :)

        James

        ________________________________
        James Spinti
        Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
        jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
        Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
        Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
        Fax: 574-269-6788

        >>mention but rely heavily on Richard Horsley's two books, Archaeology,
        >>History and Society in Galilee and Galilee: History, Politics, People.
        >
        > Yes, Horsley is a great source for this stuff. A VERY recent (2007 or
        > 2008) publication that is dead-on this issue (Galilean economics and
        the
        > HJ) is Douglas Oakman's _Jesus and the Peasants_. Also, if I may be
        > immodest, Arnal's _Jesus and the Village Scribes_ chapter 4 has a
        fairly
        > focused analysis of Galilean economics specifically, and the
        > archaeological as well as literary evidence thereof, and focuses
        precisely
        > on the issues that James Crossley noted: the foundation of the urban
        > centers, resultant monetization of the economy, and the PERCEPTION (or

        > lack thereof) of change among the peasantry.
        >
        > Also valuable would be anything by Jonathan Reed, or Milton Moreland.
        >
        > For what it's worth, I don't think global characterizations of
        scholarly
        > positions as "liberal" or "conservative" or "moderate" are especially
        > helpful.
        >
        > regards,
        > Bill

        > List managers may be contacted directly at: