RE: [XTalk] Galilean Economics

  • William Arnal
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 23, 2008
      Jack Kilmon writes:

      >I have read the works you
      >mention but rely heavily on Richard Horsley's two books, Archaeology,
      >History and Society in Galilee and Galilee: History, Politics, People.

      Yes, Horsley is a great source for this stuff. A VERY recent (2007 or 2008) publication that is dead-on this issue (Galilean economics and the HJ) is Douglas Oakman's _Jesus and the Peasants_. Also, if I may be immodest, Arnal's _Jesus and the Village Scribes_ chapter 4 has a fairly focused analysis of Galilean economics specifically, and the archaeological as well as literary evidence thereof, and focuses precisely on the issues that James Crossley noted: the foundation of the urban centers, resultant monetization of the economy, and the PERCEPTION (or lack thereof) of change among the peasantry.

      Also valuable would be anything by Jonathan Reed, or Milton Moreland.

      For what it's worth, I don't think global characterizations of scholarly positions as "liberal" or "conservative" or "moderate" are especially helpful.

      regards,
      Bill

    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 23, 2008
        Durn Bill. A quick trip to Amazon and I am $32.60 poorer. You better
        autograph it for me.

        Seriously, it looks like a great read and an important one. I amred-faced
        that I missed it.

        Jack

        Jack Kilmon
        San Antonio, TX

        >>mention but rely heavily on Richard Horsley's two books, Archaeology,
        >>History and Society in Galilee and Galilee: History, Politics, People.
        >
        > Yes, Horsley is a great source for this stuff. A VERY recent (2007 or
        > 2008) publication that is dead-on this issue (Galilean economics and the
        > HJ) is Douglas Oakman's _Jesus and the Peasants_. Also, if I may be
        > immodest, Arnal's _Jesus and the Village Scribes_ chapter 4 has a fairly
        > focused analysis of Galilean economics specifically, and the
        > archaeological as well as literary evidence thereof, and focuses precisely
        > on the issues that James Crossley noted: the foundation of the urban
        > centers, resultant monetization of the economy, and the PERCEPTION (or
        > lack thereof) of change among the peasantry.
        >
        > Also valuable would be anything by Jonathan Reed, or Milton Moreland.
        >
        > For what it's worth, I don't think global characterizations of scholarly
        > positions as "liberal" or "conservative" or "moderate" are especially
        > helpful.
        >
        > regards,
        > Bill

        > List managers may be contacted directly at:
        > crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • James Spinti
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 23, 2008
          Too bad. Eisenbrauns has it for $20.80...

          Bigger isn't always cheaper :)

          James

          ________________________________
          James Spinti
          Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
          jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
          Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
          Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
          Fax: 574-269-6788

          >>mention but rely heavily on Richard Horsley's two books, Archaeology,
          >>History and Society in Galilee and Galilee: History, Politics, People.
          >
          > Yes, Horsley is a great source for this stuff. A VERY recent (2007 or
          > 2008) publication that is dead-on this issue (Galilean economics and
          the
          > HJ) is Douglas Oakman's _Jesus and the Peasants_. Also, if I may be
          > immodest, Arnal's _Jesus and the Village Scribes_ chapter 4 has a
          fairly
          > focused analysis of Galilean economics specifically, and the
          > archaeological as well as literary evidence thereof, and focuses
          precisely
          > on the issues that James Crossley noted: the foundation of the urban
          > centers, resultant monetization of the economy, and the PERCEPTION (or

          > lack thereof) of change among the peasantry.
          >
          > Also valuable would be anything by Jonathan Reed, or Milton Moreland.
          >
          > For what it's worth, I don't think global characterizations of
          scholarly
          > positions as "liberal" or "conservative" or "moderate" are especially
          > helpful.
          >
          > regards,
          > Bill

          > List managers may be contacted directly at: