Re: [XTalk] Galilean Economics

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 23, 2008
      From: "Steven Deedon" <stevendeedon@...>
      To: <crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 9:06 PM
      Subject: [XTalk] Galilean Economics

      >I find it helpful to read the more moderate scholars like Meier and
      > Sanders dialectically AGAINST folks like Crossan, Funk, Robinson and Borg.
      > And of course I may wind up sorting through a sea of other arguments on a
      > given issue. Eventually I'm often able to come up with a synthesis, a
      > sense of majority opinion -- or at least a strong confidence in a
      > particular argument.
      >
      > However, in the case of the economics of Galilee during
      > Jesus' adulthood, daily life within class strata, etc., I am not quite so
      > confident.
      >
      > Crossan and -- a cursory look at some others -- suggests peasant life was
      > miserable, full of resentments, etc., and that Jesus' teachings have
      > strong political implications.
      >
      > Meier would say things were not so bad. And if remember correctly from a
      > conversation with Sanders, he would agree. (Sanders also said to me,
      > "Meier is usually right.")
      >
      > I guess I'm hoping others have made more progress on this subject and can
      > share some ideas on it. Maybe they've simply read things I haven't, or
      > spent more time thinking through this issue. (I'm under pressure to
      > finish up a project, so I'm hoping I might get to a better understanding
      > faster than I might on my own.)
      >
      > Steve
      >

      > Steven Deedon
      > stevendeedon@...
      > 203-507-6970

      This is an important issue, IMO, because one cannot do serious HJ research
      without a grounding in the social and cultural anthropology as well as the
      class structure from which he rose and moved. I have read the works you
      mention but rely heavily on Richard Horsley's two books, Archaeology,
      History and Society in Galilee and Galilee: History, Politics, People. Also
      I find Jeremias' Jerusalem in the Time of Jesus and Perdue, etal Families in
      Ancient Israel for more perspective.

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      San Antonio, TX
    • William Arnal
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 23, 2008
        Jack Kilmon writes:

        >I have read the works you
        >mention but rely heavily on Richard Horsley's two books, Archaeology,
        >History and Society in Galilee and Galilee: History, Politics, People.

        Yes, Horsley is a great source for this stuff. A VERY recent (2007 or 2008) publication that is dead-on this issue (Galilean economics and the HJ) is Douglas Oakman's _Jesus and the Peasants_. Also, if I may be immodest, Arnal's _Jesus and the Village Scribes_ chapter 4 has a fairly focused analysis of Galilean economics specifically, and the archaeological as well as literary evidence thereof, and focuses precisely on the issues that James Crossley noted: the foundation of the urban centers, resultant monetization of the economy, and the PERCEPTION (or lack thereof) of change among the peasantry.

        Also valuable would be anything by Jonathan Reed, or Milton Moreland.

        For what it's worth, I don't think global characterizations of scholarly positions as "liberal" or "conservative" or "moderate" are especially helpful.

        regards,
        Bill

      • Jack Kilmon
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 23, 2008
          Durn Bill. A quick trip to Amazon and I am $32.60 poorer. You better
          autograph it for me.

          Seriously, it looks like a great read and an important one. I amred-faced
          that I missed it.

          Jack

          Jack Kilmon
          San Antonio, TX

          >>mention but rely heavily on Richard Horsley's two books, Archaeology,
          >>History and Society in Galilee and Galilee: History, Politics, People.
          >
          > Yes, Horsley is a great source for this stuff. A VERY recent (2007 or
          > 2008) publication that is dead-on this issue (Galilean economics and the
          > HJ) is Douglas Oakman's _Jesus and the Peasants_. Also, if I may be
          > immodest, Arnal's _Jesus and the Village Scribes_ chapter 4 has a fairly
          > focused analysis of Galilean economics specifically, and the
          > archaeological as well as literary evidence thereof, and focuses precisely
          > on the issues that James Crossley noted: the foundation of the urban
          > centers, resultant monetization of the economy, and the PERCEPTION (or
          > lack thereof) of change among the peasantry.
          >
          > Also valuable would be anything by Jonathan Reed, or Milton Moreland.
          >
          > For what it's worth, I don't think global characterizations of scholarly
          > positions as "liberal" or "conservative" or "moderate" are especially
          > helpful.
          >
          > regards,
          > Bill

          > List managers may be contacted directly at:
          > crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • James Spinti
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 23, 2008
            Too bad. Eisenbrauns has it for $20.80...

            Bigger isn't always cheaper :)

            James

            ________________________________
            James Spinti
            Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
            jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
            Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
            Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
            Fax: 574-269-6788

            >>mention but rely heavily on Richard Horsley's two books, Archaeology,
            >>History and Society in Galilee and Galilee: History, Politics, People.
            >
            > Yes, Horsley is a great source for this stuff. A VERY recent (2007 or
            > 2008) publication that is dead-on this issue (Galilean economics and
            the
            > HJ) is Douglas Oakman's _Jesus and the Peasants_. Also, if I may be
            > immodest, Arnal's _Jesus and the Village Scribes_ chapter 4 has a
            fairly
            > focused analysis of Galilean economics specifically, and the
            > archaeological as well as literary evidence thereof, and focuses
            precisely
            > on the issues that James Crossley noted: the foundation of the urban
            > centers, resultant monetization of the economy, and the PERCEPTION (or

            > lack thereof) of change among the peasantry.
            >
            > Also valuable would be anything by Jonathan Reed, or Milton Moreland.
            >
            > For what it's worth, I don't think global characterizations of
            scholarly
            > positions as "liberal" or "conservative" or "moderate" are especially
            > helpful.
            >
            > regards,
            > Bill

            > List managers may be contacted directly at: