Re: [XTalk] bw III on the James Ossuary- Holding firm in the face of all contrary evidence!

  • James Crossley
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2008
      According to the Witherington interview:
      '...but let me say why this is such an important
      issue. The James Ossuary is an indirect testimony to
      the resurrection of Jesus. The reason I say that is
      you don't brag about being related to Jesus if the
      last thing that happened to him was that he died on a
      cross – that was the most shocking way to die in
      antiquity. So the fact that this ossuary reads, "Jesus
      the son of Joseph, his brother is Jesus" is very
      clear that this person is claiming to be related to
      Jesus and he wouldn't be claiming that if Jesus died
      on the cross and there was no resurrection.'

      I would have thought that all this line of thought
      could possibly prove is that people *believed* Jesus
      was resurrected. But then we know that anyway. If we
      take Witherington's logic one step further, the
      earliest Christian literature would not be making such
      claims about if there was no resurrection, right? If I
      am being fair, then that would be some leap of logic.

      James Crossley
      Dept of Biblical Studies
      University of Sheffield, UK

      http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/