Re: [XTalk] bw III on the James Ossuary- Holding firm in the face of all contrary evidence!

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2008
      Jack Kilmon wrote:
> [...]

      ++++++

      Jim West, ThD

      http://jwest.wordpress.com -- Blog
      http://drjewest.googlepages.com - Biblical Studies Resources
    • James Crossley
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2008
        According to the Witherington interview:
        '...but let me say why this is such an important
        issue. The James Ossuary is an indirect testimony to
        the resurrection of Jesus. The reason I say that is
        you don't brag about being related to Jesus if the
        last thing that happened to him was that he died on a
        cross – that was the most shocking way to die in
        antiquity. So the fact that this ossuary reads, "Jesus
        the son of Joseph, his brother is Jesus" is very
        clear that this person is claiming to be related to
        Jesus and he wouldn't be claiming that if Jesus died
        on the cross and there was no resurrection.'

        I would have thought that all this line of thought
        could possibly prove is that people *believed* Jesus
        was resurrected. But then we know that anyway. If we
        take Witherington's logic one step further, the
        earliest Christian literature would not be making such
        claims about if there was no resurrection, right? If I
        am being fair, then that would be some leap of logic.

        James Crossley
        Dept of Biblical Studies
        University of Sheffield, UK

        http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/