Re: [XTalk] bw III on the James Ossuary- Holding firm in the face of all contrary evidence!

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2008
      From: "Jim West" <jwest@...>
      To: <biblical-studies@yahoogroups.com>; <crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2008 10:13 AM
      Subject: [XTalk] bw III on the James Ossuary- Holding firm in the face of
      all contrary evidence!

      > *Following is an interview with Ben Witherington- the whole of which can
      > be read here:
      > *
      >
      > *
      > *
      >
      > *http://www.midbible.ac.uk/content/view/130/
      > *
      >

      > Yes I would say there will be some resolution, but let me say why this
      > is such an important issue. The James Ossuary is an indirect testimony
      > to the resurrection of Jesus. The reason I say that is you don't brag
      > about being related to Jesus if the last thing that happened to him was
      > that he died on a cross – that was the most shocking way to die in
      > antiquity. So the fact that this ossuary reads, "Jesus the son of
      > Joseph, his brother is Jesus" is very clear that this person is claiming
      > to be related to Jesus and he wouldn't be claiming that if Jesus died on
      > the cross and there was no resurrection.

      I do not read the Aramaic as above. I read "Yaqub, son of Yahosef, brother
      (of him) OF Yeshua."

      shlama

      Jack Kilmon
    • Jim West
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2008
        Jack Kilmon wrote:
> [...]

        ++++++

        Jim West, ThD

        http://jwest.wordpress.com -- Blog
        http://drjewest.googlepages.com - Biblical Studies Resources
      • James Crossley
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2008
          According to the Witherington interview:
          '...but let me say why this is such an important
          issue. The James Ossuary is an indirect testimony to
          the resurrection of Jesus. The reason I say that is
          you don't brag about being related to Jesus if the
          last thing that happened to him was that he died on a
          cross – that was the most shocking way to die in
          antiquity. So the fact that this ossuary reads, "Jesus
          the son of Joseph, his brother is Jesus" is very
          clear that this person is claiming to be related to
          Jesus and he wouldn't be claiming that if Jesus died
          on the cross and there was no resurrection.'

          I would have thought that all this line of thought
          could possibly prove is that people *believed* Jesus
          was resurrected. But then we know that anyway. If we
          take Witherington's logic one step further, the
          earliest Christian literature would not be making such
          claims about if there was no resurrection, right? If I
          am being fair, then that would be some leap of logic.

          James Crossley
          Dept of Biblical Studies
          University of Sheffield, UK

          http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/