Ezra Fleischer and the liturgy of the synaggogue

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2008
      I have just become aware of the thesis of Ezra Fleischer that regular,
      obligatory communal prayer did not exist as a generalized phenomenon
      among Jews in the Land of Israel before 70 C.E. and that there was no
      set liturgy, let alone one that involved the recitation of the Amidah,
      in pre 70 synagogues.

      I'd be interested to know how well his thesis has been received. Has
      anyone backed him up on this matter?

      Yours,

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.