Re: Protective Silences in Acts 9: 19-27

  • John E. Staton
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2008
      Richard wrote,

      "I don't agree. Luke IS interested in recording the conversions that came
      through Paul's preaching and one would think he would be particularly
      interested in recording the FIRST such conversions. Yet he is
      silent about
      the conversions of Paul's disciples who helped him escape from
      Damascus.
      Similarly, Luke IS interested in journeys of Paul and often gives
      them in
      boring detail, yet he is strangely silent about Arabia, where Paul
      probably
      spent nearly three years (see my earlier post). The silences that I
      listed
      before do not concern matters in which Luke shows a lack of interest
      elsewhere in Acts. The only pattern to the silences that I can
      discern is
      that they all help to protect those who helped Paul escape from
      Damascus."

      I don't find this especially convincing, Richard. Luke would appear to
      have a program of recording the spread of the gospel outward in
      concentric circles towards Rome. Arabia is in the other direction, a
      direction in which shows no interest apart from a brief mention in Acts
      2. I suspect Luke knew much more about Paul's life than he tells us, but
      he is concerned not to bombard his reader with an excess of details, and
      to record those episodes of Paul's life which most specifically serve
      his literary purpose. He could not *possibly* enumerate *all* of Paul's
      conversions, and I doubt he tried to do so. Your interpretation is
      *possible*, but in my opinion, not probable.

      Best Wishes

      Penistone, Sheffield UK
      www.christianreflection.org.uk