RE: [XTalk] IOU: Heinemann on Matt. 6:10//Lk. 11:2

  • Matson, Mark (Academic)
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2008
      Jeffrey:

      I think what is at issue is not the content of "doing God's will", but rather whether the passive form of a third person imperative somehow obliterates the imperatival effect of the verb. We have talked about this before. I actually think there are a number of third person passive imperatives in the NT (let alone other literature) which still retain an essential imperatival thrust in them. And passive verb forms don't do away with an agent, they normally just "hide" the agent. And, of course, the third person imperative is itself interesting, since then who is the active agent? Especially in a third person verb form?

      Your quote, of course, intrigues me, and so will send me in that direction. If you have the entire section that was sent to you, would you mind e-mailing it to me?

      Jeffrey, my intention is to work on this third person imperative issue more this semester with my 3rd year greek students -- I am planning on having them do some large scale collection and analysis work. so stay tuned.

      Mark A. Matson
      Academic Dean
      Milligan College