Re: [Synoptic-L] IOU: Heinemann on Matt. 6:10//Lk. 11:2

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2008
      Chuck Jones wrote:

      > Jeffrey,
      >
      > I'm not sure we should read the sentence quite so devotionally as the authors are suggesting.
      >
      > I apologize that I have no single source to cite, but I believe it is culturally and historically quite possible to read "Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven" as a call for the arrival of the Blessed Age of the Messiah. The apocalyptic age would be ushered in by the direct intervention of Yahweh in history. It would purge all evil from earth, making it possible for God's will to be done on earth (as perfectly) as it is in heaven.

      I understand that it is quite possible to read the petition as doing such a call. Indeed, Jeremias and many others have read it this way. The question I'm raising is whether it is impossible to read it otherwise, and if so, why.

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      Chicago, Illinois
      e-mail jgibson000@...