Elliott, Mason, Cohen and Esler on the meaning of Ioudaios

  • David Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2008
      List members who have been following the discussion about J.H. Elliott's and Steve Mason's recent articles might find the "What's in a Name?" series on my blog to be of interest.

      Along with Elliott and Mason, the series critically evaluates Shaye Cohen's argument in <The Beginnings of Jewishness>, and Philip Esler's response to Cohen in <Conflict and Identity in Romans>. The first post, with links to all the rest, is here: http://gervatoshav.blogspot.com/2007/12/whats-in-name-part-1-on-jews-and.html

      Essentially, I believe Elliott's larger argument that Jesus was an Israelite not a Judaean to be seriously flawed. Mason's argument that Ioudaios should be understood as an ethnic rather than a religious designation is persuasive, although I think he underplays the 'religious' distinctives that set the Judaean ethnos apart in the Greco-Roman world.

      Regards,

      David M. Miller, Ph.D. (McMaster)
      Assistant Professor of New Testament
      Briercrest College & Seminary
      Caronport, SK

      Invite the next generation of students to consider Briercrest College and Seminary. Visit www.briercrest.ca/refer.
      This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged proprietary material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, or distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, or authorized to receive the information from the recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.