Re: [XTalk] Wealth and class in antiquity

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 18, 2007
      At 07:44 AM 12/17/2007, Daniel Grolin wrote:

      >Hi X-Talkers,
      >
      >Could someone direct me to a discussion of the relationship between class
      >and wealth in antiquity.

      Check Crossan's Birth of Christianity-- IIRC he has a chapter or at least a
      section of a chapter on that subject. He relies mainly on a few sources,
      which are identified.

      Bob Schacht

      >Regards,
      >
      >Daniel Grolin

      >List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Steve Puluka
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 18, 2007
        On Dec 17, 2007, at 12:44 PM, Daniel Grolin wrote:

        > Hi X-Talkers,
        >
        > Could someone direct me to a discussion of the relationship between
        > class and wealth in antiquity.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Daniel Grolin

        These are all works from the religious perspective. These are
        sources I used in working on a research paper on John Chrysostom's
        perspective on wealth.

        Benestad, J. Brian. "Chrysostom on wealth and poverty." Diakonia 24,
        no. 3 (1991): 201-210.

        Weaver, Rebecca H. "Wealth and poverty in the early church."
        Interpretation 41, no. 4 (1987): 368-381.

        Dreher, Martin N. "Terra de Deus e propriedade privada : Os cristãos
        e a propriedade na Igreja Antiga." Estudos teológicos 23, no. 1
        (1983): 79-97.

        Karayiannis, Anastassios. "The Eastern Christian Fathers (350-400
        A.D.) on the redistribution of wealth." History of Political Economy
        26, no. 1 (1994): 39-67.

        Leyerle, Blake. "John Chrysostom on almsgiving and the use of money."
        Harvard Theological Review 87, no. 1 (1994): 29-48.

        Smith, Charles Ryder. The Bible doctrine of wealth and work in its
        historical evolution. London: The Epworth Press, 1924.

        Birch, Bruce C., and Larry L. Rasmussen. The predicament of the
        prosperous. Biblical perspectives on current issues. Philadelphia:
        Westminster Press, 1978.

        Whybray, Roger N. "Poverty, wealth, and point of view in Proverbs."
        Expository Times 100, no. 9 (1989): 332-336.

        Neusner, Jacob. The economics of the Mishnah. Chicago studies in the
        history of Judaism. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1990.

        Lunn, John. "On riches in the Bible and the west today." Faith &
        Economics 39 (2002): 14-22.

        Nickelsburg, George W. E. "Revisiting the rich and the poor in 1
        Enoch 92-105 and the Gospel according to Luke." In George W.E.
        Nickelsburg in perspective : an ongoing dialogue of learning, ed.
        George W. E. Nickelsburg, Jacob Neusner and Alan J. Avery-Peck,
        Supplements to the Journal for the study of Judaism. Vol. 80,
        547-571. Leiden ; Boston: Brill, 2003.

        Steve Puluka
        MLS, Theology Duquesne University
        Cantor Holy Ghost Church
        Carpatho-Rusyn tradition
        Mckees Rocks, PA
        http://puluka.com
      • David B. Gowler
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 19, 2007
          crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com writes:
          >On Dec 17, 2007, at 12:44 PM, Daniel Grolin wrote:
          >> Could someone direct me to a discussion of the relationship between
          >> class and wealth in antiquity.
          >> Regards,
          >> Daniel Grolin

          I cannot yet vouch for either of these works, and they may not deal directly
          with your question, but they are on my to-read list. I think the Gildas Hamel
          book (Poverty and Charity in Roman Palestine, First Three Centuries CE) was
          already mentioned, but one other caught my eye at SBL: William Desmond, The
          Greek Praise of Poverty.

          With every good wish,
          David

          Dr. David B. Gowler