Introducing myself

  • David Cavanagh
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2007
      I have just managed to sign up to CrossTalk -my thanks to the moderator,
      it has been a difficult process because my replies to his initial
      enquiries somehow kept vanishing into e-space- so I thought I would just
      introduce myself.

      I'm a Salvation Army officer (Major) currently stationed at Naples
      (Italy) where I and my wife are Corps officers. I've been interested in
      scholarly theology since my last year at Manchester University (where I
      was doing a BA in English & American Lit). While training for Salvation
      Army ministry in London (1990-92) I did some study for a
      Certificate/Degree in Theology with Cambridge, but never completed the
      course. I'm at a stage now where I want to go back to study, and am
      applying to do a degree in Theology and Religion from Oxford Brookes
      University (UK) by distance-study.

      Given that background, and my job, it's maybe not too surpising I am
      interested in the Search(es) for the Historical Jesus. I know of
      Schweitzer and of the "Second Quest" but have actually read only authors
      from the Third Quest -Ben Meyer, A E Harvey, Ed Sanders, James D G Dunn.
      I'm currently trying to read through the three volumes so-far published
      in N T Wright's "Christian Origins" project, and hope at some stage to
      read stuff by J D Crossan and Marcus Borg.

      Enough for now! I am looking forward to reading......and occasionally
      (?) chipping in.

      David Cavanagh
      Major (The Salvation Army)
      Naples (Italy)