Re: [XTalk] Amy-Jill Levine in the Jew/Judean Debate

  • Karel Hanhart
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 17, 2007
      I agree with Amy-Jill Levine that terms like Judean(s) can serve to gloss over the Christian contribution to the persecution of Jews.
      The Wirkungsgeschichte of certain texts in the Gospel runs like a poison through the good stream of Christian tradition, thus readying the European soil for the seed of Hitler's unspeakable genocide.

      On the other hand, Christian interpreters must deal with the origins of their tradition. Speaking of Christian Jews would have in modern language certain connotations that do not do justice to first century Judaism.
      In an attempt to solve the problem (- it cannot truly be solved when trying to jump over the garstige Graben of 20 centuries -)
      (a ) I am using terms as Jews and Jewish, whenever I refer to the Jewish people throughout history.
      (b) However, describing first century Judaism and interpretating specific texts of the Gospel I do use Judean(s) for the Jewish people, being the literal translation of the Greek ioudaios(i). After all tradition comes to us through that language.

      In order to distinguish between followers of John and Jesus, I invented the anachronistic term Christian Judean(s), well suited for their first century life setting. In Hebrew I would classify them as chassidim in the broad sense of the word.

      One doesnot have to apologize for the Gospel. However, one can no longer do justice to the Gospel if one ignores the poison of particular passages under discussion, rightly or wrongly labeled as 'anti-Judean'.

      As I see it the Gospel is best called a Judean document - but can it be called a Jewish document?

      cordially

      Karel