Luedemann's latest on Ratzinger's Jesus

  • drjewest
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 6, 2007
      Lister's may be interested in Luedemann's newest review of Ratzinger's
      Jesus book- here in pdf

      http://web.infoave.net/~jwest/popereview.pdf

      --
      Jim West, ThD

    • Antonio Lombatti
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 27, 2007
        For those who have missed (parts of) the panel on "Jewish
        Christianity", the audio of these three sessions (about 3 hours) is
        now available for download:

        Charlotte Fonrobert, Stanford University, Presiding

        Part 1: Definitions, Sources, and Aims

        Daniel Boyarin, University of California-Berkeley, Panelist (25 min)
        Oskar Skarsaune, Norwegian School of Theology, Respondent (5 min)
        Matt Jackson-McCabe, Niagara University, Respondent (5 min)
        Discussion (15 min)

        Part 2: On Paul and his Competitors

        Mark Nanos, Panelist (25 min)
        Reidar Hvalvik, Respondent (5 min)
        Jerry Sumney, Lexington Theological Seminary, Respondent (5 min)
        Discussion (15 min)

        Part 3: On Ebionites, Nazarenes and their Literature

        Joseph Verheyden, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Panelist (25 min)
        Craig Evans, Acadia Divinity College, Respondent (5 min)
        Petri Luomanen, University of Helsinki, Respondent (5 min)
        Discussion (15 min)

        Go to the following link:

        http://www.torahresource.com/SBL%2019-116.html

        Antonio Lombatti

      • Chris Weimer
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 27, 2007
          Thanks for these! I'm afraid that my notes are not as clear as the
          papers themselves, so it's always good to have it on hand for
          reference. I found Daniel Boyarin's paper mostly dead on (a nitpick
          here or there, not even worthy of mention). But now that I have it
          again, it can be reviewed better. So thanks again!

          Chris Weimer
          U. Memphis

          --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, Antonio Lombatti

        • goranson@duke.edu
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 20, 2007
            Steve Mason has a new article, "Jews, Judaeans, Judaizing, Judaism:
            Problems of
            Categorization in Ancient History," JSJ 38 (2007) 457-512--his justification
            for translating Josephus' title as "Judean War," which likely will generate
            discussion and differing views.

            Stephen Goranson
            http://www.duke.edu/~goranson
          • peterson@austingrad.edu
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 20, 2007
              > Steve Mason has a new article, "Jews, Judaeans, Judaizing, Judaism:
              > Problems of
              > Categorization in Ancient History," JSJ 38 (2007) 457-512--his
              > justification
              > for translating Josephus' title as "Judean War," which likely will
              > generate
              > discussion and differing views.

              I found the most valuable contribution of the article to be the
              demonstration (as I'd regard it) that it's a category error to think of
              Judaism as a religion that existed in antiquity, and of Jews as adherents
              of this religion; rather, Jewry (to use an old-fashioned expression that
              Mason does not) was an ethnos, and the IOUDAIOI were its constituents. I'm
              not convinced that the terminological shift from "Jew" to "Judean" is a
              magic bullet that will alert everyone to this — why are scholars in
              biblical and cognate fields so often convinced that if we get everything
              optimally translated, understanding our literature will follow without
              further trouble? — but it's a very fine article nonetheless.

              Jeff Peterson
              Austin Graduate School of Theology
              Austin, Texas
            • ntdmiller
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 26, 2007
                List members following the debate around Steve Mason's and John H.
                Elliott's recent articles might find the series of posts on my blog,
                http://gervatoshav.blogspot.com/ <http://gervatoshav.blogspot.com/> ,
                to be of interest:

                Part 1: On Jews and Judeans, Israelites and Israelis
                <http://gervatoshav.blogspot.com/2007/12/whats-in-name-part-1-on-jews-an\
                d.html>
                Part 2: Ioudaios according to Shaye Cohen
                <http://gervatoshav.blogspot.com/2007/12/whats-in-name-part-2-ioudaios-a\
                s-jew-or.html>
                Part 3a: Ioudaios according to Philip Esler
                <http://gervatoshav.blogspot.com/2007/12/whats-in-name-part-3a-ioudaios.\
                html>
                Part 3b: Philip Esler Responds to Shaye Cohen
                <http://gervatoshav.blogspot.com/2007/12/whats-in-name-part-3b-philip-es\
                ler.html>
                Part 4: Judean vs. Israelite according to John H. Elliott
                <http://gervatoshav.blogspot.com/2007/12/whats-in-name-part-4-judean-vs.\
                html>
                Part 5a: Ioudaios according to Steve Mason
                <http://gervatoshav.blogspot.com/2007/12/whats-in-name-part-5a-ioudaios.\
                html>
                Part 5b: Ioudaios according to Steve Mason
                <http://gervatoshav.blogspot.com/2007/12/whats-in-name-part-5b-ioudaios.\
                html>
                Part 6: Preliminary Conclusions
                <http://gervatoshav.blogspot.com/2007/12/whats-in-name-part-6-preliminar\
                y.html>

                David M. Miller
                Briercrest College and Seminary
                Caronport, SK

              • Antonio Lombatti
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 8, 2008
                  During a lesson, a student of mine asked me about the way Josephus
                  tells about Judas the Galilean and about Jesus.

                  A much longer and more elaborate description the former, a couple of
                  lines only the latter despite this man had been crucified for being
                  the Son of God? Odd indeed, above all under a historiographical point
                  of view, if one thinks that Josephus wrote about these first centuries
                  revolutionaries.

                  This was, in short, his observation. I gave him my answer, but your
                  comments are welcome.

                  Antonio Lombatti

                  http://www.antoniolombatti.it