Re: [XTalk] Re: Robert Price's: "The Quest of the Mythical Jesus"

  • Walt Lechman
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1 12:19 PM
      Walt Lechman wrote:
      > But what about the parallels between Jesus and Old Testament figures, such
      > as Moses, as well as the Old Testament stories surrounding these figures?
      > And why do we assume that the mythological aspects aren't original to
      > Jesus? Is it beyond the question to consider that maybe the NT writers
      made
      > up their own (original) stories?
      >
      > Walt Lechman

      Jim West:
      This is simply the logical fallacy of similarity. You are concluding
      that similarity means dependence. That of course is poor logic.

      Walt:
      You should read a little closer what I wrote. I did not claim there WAS
      borrowing, I raised the question of whether or not it is beyond the
      questioning whether or not there was borrowing. And I also stated that if
      there wasn't, it is *possible* that the NT authors created original myths
      concerning Jesus.

      To ignore those possibilities is the real error in logic. There is a
      difference in raising a question due to similarities and concluding that
      because there are similarities there was borrowing.