RE: [XTalk] the jesus project: hmmmmm

  • Bill Jacobson
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 31, 2007
      James Tabor discusses his "involvement" in the Jesus Project back in
      January, 07 at http://jesusdynasty.com/blog/2007/01/12/the-jesus-project/

      Bill Jacobson
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 1, 2007
        Hi Ed and all
        On Jul 31, 2007, at 9:12 PM, <leeedgartyler@...>
        <leeedgartyler@...> wrote:

        >> As does, in another way, the implicit recognition of some of the
        >> "fellows" as
        >> "scholars" when the only venues these "scholars" have ever
        >> published in are vanity
        >> presses.
        >>
        >> Jeffrey
        >
        > Also, there are a few bona fide scholars on that list of fellows
        > who are not qualified to speak on the subject. Vic Stenger's
        > credentials as a cosmologist and astronomer are impeccable; what's
        > that got to do with the task at hand?

        Sorry, I can't resist on this one... but maybe Strenger has seen the
        Risen Lord through his telescope;)!

        Gordon Raynal
        Inman, SC
      • John C. Poirier
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 1, 2007
          Yes, I know that now that others have said that he, at one time, was listed. But he wasn't listed when I looked at the list.

          John

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 1, 2007
            John C Poirier wrote:
            > Yes, I know that now that others have said that he, at one time, was listed. But he wasn't listed when I looked at the list.
            >
            > John

            Well that hurts. You only believe it if someone else says it.

            --
            Jim West, ThD

          • Mark Goodacre
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
              I took the liberty of asking Richard Bauckham about his involvement
              with the Jesus Project and he responded by saying "I have nothing
              whatsoever to do with the Project, and can't imagine how I got listed
              as a fellow".

              Best
              Mark
              --
              Mark Goodacre Goodacre@...
              Associate Professor

              http://NTGateway.com/goodacre
            • lessthanhostilecurmudgeon
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
                I looked up the web designer for the Jesus group website and
                discovered that it is ran by one Carol A. Price (Mr. Price's wife)
                [http://www.spiritofcarolina.com/whowhy.htm%5d ; she is based out of
                Selma NC, which is were Mr. Price lives.

                I know this because I have lived in Selma for the last year, I have
                read Mr. Price's editorials in the town newspaper and ran into him
                in town from time to time. So, is Robert Price the founder of the
                group? What is his role in the organization besides a fellow?

                Blake Reas
                Garner NC

                --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Goodacre" <Goodacre@...>

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
                  Thanks for this. Will be interested to see what others "fellows" are
                  non-existent as such:)!
                  Gordon Raynal
                  Inman, SC
                  On Aug 2, 2007, at 8:19 AM, Mark Goodacre wrote:

                  > I took the liberty of asking Richard Bauckham about his involvement
                  > with the Jesus Project and he responded by saying "I have nothing
                  > whatsoever to do with the Project, and can't imagine how I got listed
                  > as a fellow".
                  >
                  > Best
                  > Mark
                  > --
                  > Mark Goodacre Goodacre@...
                  > Associate Professor
                  > Duke University
                  > Department of Religion
                  > Gray Building / Box 90964
                  > Durham, NC 27708-0964 USA
                  > Phone: 919-660-3503 Fax: 919-660-3530
                  >
                  > http://NTGateway.com/goodacre

                  > subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                  >
                  > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-
                  > owners@yahoogroups.com
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Jim West
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
                    So far as I've been able to discover in various conversations with
                    various persons- only one soul has fessed up to having actually been
                    invited to be a fellow. Of course there may be others. But one out of
                    many is a very bad sign.

                    --
                    Jim West, ThD

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
                      Hi Jim,
                      Thanks for your ear, as well!

                      As for this being "a very bad sign," well, it might be a very good
                      sign that smart folks are not joining a dumb cause:)!

                      Gordon Raynal