RE: [XTalk] the jesus project: hmmmmm

  • Bill Jacobson
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 31, 2007
      James Tabor discusses his "involvement" in the Jesus Project back in
      January, 07 at http://jesusdynasty.com/blog/2007/01/12/the-jesus-project/

      Bill Jacobson
    • Jim West
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 1 3:34 AM
        John C Poirier wrote:
        > Jim West wrote:
        >
        >> If "Fellows" are listed without their consent- this is a scandal and
        >> demonstrates the unethical character of the project's organizers.
        >
        > Actually, I don't see that Kloppenborg is listed as being associated with the project. The point of his not having heard about it, I think, is that someone like him *should* have been contacted on a project like this, certainly way before some of those who *are* listed.

        You missed the point John. Kloppenborg WAS listed on the site as a
        "Fellow" but he had never been asked!

        --
        Jim West, ThD

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 1 5:32 AM
          Hi Ed and all
          On Jul 31, 2007, at 9:12 PM, <leeedgartyler@...>
          <leeedgartyler@...> wrote:

          >> As does, in another way, the implicit recognition of some of the
          >> "fellows" as
          >> "scholars" when the only venues these "scholars" have ever
          >> published in are vanity
          >> presses.
          >>
          >> Jeffrey
          >
          > Also, there are a few bona fide scholars on that list of fellows
          > who are not qualified to speak on the subject. Vic Stenger's
          > credentials as a cosmologist and astronomer are impeccable; what's
          > that got to do with the task at hand?

          Sorry, I can't resist on this one... but maybe Strenger has seen the
          Risen Lord through his telescope;)!

          Gordon Raynal
          Inman, SC
        • John C. Poirier
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 1 12:00 PM
            Yes, I know that now that others have said that he, at one time, was listed. But he wasn't listed when I looked at the list.

            John

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 1 12:12 PM
              John C Poirier wrote:
              > Yes, I know that now that others have said that he, at one time, was listed. But he wasn't listed when I looked at the list.
              >
              > John

              Well that hurts. You only believe it if someone else says it.

              --
              Jim West, ThD

            • Mark Goodacre
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 2 5:19 AM
                I took the liberty of asking Richard Bauckham about his involvement
                with the Jesus Project and he responded by saying "I have nothing
                whatsoever to do with the Project, and can't imagine how I got listed
                as a fellow".

                Best
                Mark
                --
                Mark Goodacre Goodacre@...
                Associate Professor

                http://NTGateway.com/goodacre
              • lessthanhostilecurmudgeon
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 2 7:08 AM
                  I looked up the web designer for the Jesus group website and
                  discovered that it is ran by one Carol A. Price (Mr. Price's wife)
                  [http://www.spiritofcarolina.com/whowhy.htm%5d ; she is based out of
                  Selma NC, which is were Mr. Price lives.

                  I know this because I have lived in Selma for the last year, I have
                  read Mr. Price's editorials in the town newspaper and ran into him
                  in town from time to time. So, is Robert Price the founder of the
                  group? What is his role in the organization besides a fellow?

                  Blake Reas
                  Garner NC

                  --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Goodacre" <Goodacre@...>

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 2 8:16 AM
                    Thanks for this. Will be interested to see what others "fellows" are
                    non-existent as such:)!
                    Gordon Raynal
                    Inman, SC
                    On Aug 2, 2007, at 8:19 AM, Mark Goodacre wrote:

                    > I took the liberty of asking Richard Bauckham about his involvement
                    > with the Jesus Project and he responded by saying "I have nothing
                    > whatsoever to do with the Project, and can't imagine how I got listed
                    > as a fellow".
                    >
                    > Best
                    > Mark
                    > --
                    > Mark Goodacre Goodacre@...
                    > Associate Professor
                    > Duke University
                    > Department of Religion
                    > Gray Building / Box 90964
                    > Durham, NC 27708-0964 USA
                    > Phone: 919-660-3503 Fax: 919-660-3530
                    >
                    > http://NTGateway.com/goodacre

                    > subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                    >
                    > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-
                    > owners@yahoogroups.com
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Jim West
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 2 8:24 AM
                      So far as I've been able to discover in various conversations with
                      various persons- only one soul has fessed up to having actually been
                      invited to be a fellow. Of course there may be others. But one out of
                      many is a very bad sign.

                      --
                      Jim West, ThD

                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 2 8:47 AM
                        Hi Jim,
                        Thanks for your ear, as well!

                        As for this being "a very bad sign," well, it might be a very good
                        sign that smart folks are not joining a dumb cause:)!

                        Gordon Raynal