RE: [XTalk] the jesus project: hmmmmm

  • Bill Jacobson
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 31, 2007
      James Tabor discusses his "involvement" in the Jesus Project back in
      January, 07 at http://jesusdynasty.com/blog/2007/01/12/the-jesus-project/

      Bill Jacobson
    • Chris Weimer
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 31, 2007
        Ah, ah, mistakes were made. I meant "has written up". Apologies.

        Chris Weimer

        --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Weimer"

        <http://forbiddengospels.blogspot.com/2007/06/jesus-project-according-to\
        > > -cser.html> .
        > >
        > > However, I do recall, as Chris Zeichman mentioned, that
        Kloppenborg was
        > > listed, and yet Kloppenborg himself said that he wasn't at all
        involved.
        > > It appears that they now removed his name from the listing.
        > >
        > > And I'd like to second Jeffrey Gibson's remark - some of these
        > > "scholars" aren't scholars at all. Freke? Gandy? Frank Zindler's
        > > credentials are in the sciences, not history. And some are on the
        > > extreme fringe, like Earl Doherty. This project has a foul odour about
        > > it.
        > >
        > > Chris Weimer, student
        > > Univeristy of Memphis
        > > Latin and Greek Major
        > > Judaic Studies Minor
        > >
        > > Thoughts on Antiquity <http://neonostalgia.com/weblog/>
        > > Ancient Mediterranean Cultures <http://neonostalgia.com/forum/>

      • Jim West
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 1, 2007
          John C Poirier wrote:
          > Jim West wrote:
          >
          >> If "Fellows" are listed without their consent- this is a scandal and
          >> demonstrates the unethical character of the project's organizers.
          >
          > Actually, I don't see that Kloppenborg is listed as being associated with the project. The point of his not having heard about it, I think, is that someone like him *should* have been contacted on a project like this, certainly way before some of those who *are* listed.

          You missed the point John. Kloppenborg WAS listed on the site as a
          "Fellow" but he had never been asked!

          --
          Jim West, ThD

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 1, 2007
            Hi Ed and all
            On Jul 31, 2007, at 9:12 PM, <leeedgartyler@...>
            <leeedgartyler@...> wrote:

            >> As does, in another way, the implicit recognition of some of the
            >> "fellows" as
            >> "scholars" when the only venues these "scholars" have ever
            >> published in are vanity
            >> presses.
            >>
            >> Jeffrey
            >
            > Also, there are a few bona fide scholars on that list of fellows
            > who are not qualified to speak on the subject. Vic Stenger's
            > credentials as a cosmologist and astronomer are impeccable; what's
            > that got to do with the task at hand?

            Sorry, I can't resist on this one... but maybe Strenger has seen the
            Risen Lord through his telescope;)!

            Gordon Raynal
            Inman, SC
          • John C. Poirier
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 1, 2007
              Yes, I know that now that others have said that he, at one time, was listed. But he wasn't listed when I looked at the list.

              John

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 1, 2007
                John C Poirier wrote:
                > Yes, I know that now that others have said that he, at one time, was listed. But he wasn't listed when I looked at the list.
                >
                > John

                Well that hurts. You only believe it if someone else says it.

                --
                Jim West, ThD

              • Mark Goodacre
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
                  I took the liberty of asking Richard Bauckham about his involvement
                  with the Jesus Project and he responded by saying "I have nothing
                  whatsoever to do with the Project, and can't imagine how I got listed
                  as a fellow".

                  Best
                  Mark
                  --
                  Mark Goodacre Goodacre@...
                  Associate Professor

                  http://NTGateway.com/goodacre
                • lessthanhostilecurmudgeon
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
                    I looked up the web designer for the Jesus group website and
                    discovered that it is ran by one Carol A. Price (Mr. Price's wife)
                    [http://www.spiritofcarolina.com/whowhy.htm%5d ; she is based out of
                    Selma NC, which is were Mr. Price lives.

                    I know this because I have lived in Selma for the last year, I have
                    read Mr. Price's editorials in the town newspaper and ran into him
                    in town from time to time. So, is Robert Price the founder of the
                    group? What is his role in the organization besides a fellow?

                    Blake Reas
                    Garner NC

                    --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Goodacre" <Goodacre@...>

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
                      Thanks for this. Will be interested to see what others "fellows" are
                      non-existent as such:)!
                      Gordon Raynal
                      Inman, SC
                      On Aug 2, 2007, at 8:19 AM, Mark Goodacre wrote:

                      > I took the liberty of asking Richard Bauckham about his involvement
                      > with the Jesus Project and he responded by saying "I have nothing
                      > whatsoever to do with the Project, and can't imagine how I got listed
                      > as a fellow".
                      >
                      > Best
                      > Mark
                      > --
                      > Mark Goodacre Goodacre@...
                      > Associate Professor
                      > Duke University
                      > Department of Religion
                      > Gray Building / Box 90964
                      > Durham, NC 27708-0964 USA
                      > Phone: 919-660-3503 Fax: 919-660-3530
                      >
                      > http://NTGateway.com/goodacre

                      > subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                      > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                      >
                      > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-
                      > owners@yahoogroups.com
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Jim West
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
                        So far as I've been able to discover in various conversations with
                        various persons- only one soul has fessed up to having actually been
                        invited to be a fellow. Of course there may be others. But one out of
                        many is a very bad sign.

                        --
                        Jim West, ThD

                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
                          Hi Jim,
                          Thanks for your ear, as well!

                          As for this being "a very bad sign," well, it might be a very good
                          sign that smart folks are not joining a dumb cause:)!

                          Gordon Raynal